Your child's heart is precious. It can be alarming to hear that your child has a heart problem that requires medical or surgical attention. The pediatric heart specialists at NewYork-Presbyterian Queens provide comprehensive, compassionate, multidisciplinary care to young patients with heart disorders. We customize a plan of care to achieve a good outcome and give your child the best chance of a long, healthy, and productive life.
Our Pediatric Heart Team
Our board-certified pediatric cardiologists, echocardiographers, medical assistants, and nurses collaborate closely with the pediatric cardiology team at NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children's Hospital at Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan to provide your child with all the services he or she needs to achieve excellent heart health.
- Your child can receive noninvasive heart care and heart testing at our hospital in Queens.
- Any needed procedures, such as catheterization or heart surgery, are performed in Manhattan — home to some of the nation's most accomplished pediatric interventional cardiologists, heart surgeons, and intensivists.
- We participate in twice-weekly conferences with the NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children's Hospital pediatric heart team.
- For children who need a heart transplant, we can facilitate a referral to NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in northern Manhattan.
U.S. News & World Report has ranked NewYork-Presbyterian's pediatric hospitals among the top pediatric cardiology and heart surgery programs in the country — reflecting our reputation and excellent surgical outcomes, the expertise of our surgical teams, our high volume of cases, and other data related to patient care. When you come to NewYork-Presbyterian Queens, you can take heart that your child will benefit from that expertise, too.
Who We Treat
Our team cares for newborns, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults with a wide range of heart conditions and symptoms, including:
- Congenital heart defects
- Heart murmurs
- Arrhythmias and palpitations
- Fetal heart defects
- Chest pain
- Acquired heart disease, especially Kawasaki disease, as well as rheumatic fever and myocarditis
- Genetic syndromes with associated heart disease
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides) and obesity, in collaboration with NewYork-Presbyterian Queens pediatric gastroenterologists
Comprehensive Diagnostic Services
From fetal echocardiography and monitoring to urgent care for children who come to our specialized Pediatric Emergency Department with heart symptoms, we offer a broad range of services to evaluate a child's heart health, including:
- Pediatric echocardiography
- Fetal echocardiography
- Electrocardiogram interpretation
- 24-hour Holter monitoring and extended event monitoring to assess heart rhythm
- Inpatient and outpatient cardiology consultations
- Testing to provide clearance for sports participation and use of ADHD medications (which can cause palpitations or chest pain in some children)
A Specialized Center for Echocardiography
Our hospital is nationally accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL) for providing exceptional fetal and transthoracic echocardiography according to national standards. We have a strong fetal echocardiography program to diagnose congenital heart disease early, during pregnancy, allowing you to plan your child's heart care before delivery and to know what your child will need after he or she is born. Our echocardiography system is remotely connected to the system at NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky, enabling doctors there to assess your baby and collaborate with us to customize the best approach to care.