What is Gender Affirming Surgery?
Gender-affirming surgeries are procedures that help patients transition to their self-identified gender. This term describes various surgeries that enhance the body to align more closely with a patient’s gender identity.
All surgical treatments are designed to meet your individual needs and aesthetic wishes. Our plastic and reconstructive surgeons are highly skilled and able to help you achieve the appearance you want to live fully.
Our team helps patients of all races, ethnicities, genders and gender identities live confidently and vibrantly with gender-affirming surgeries.
Types of Gender-Affirming Surgery
- Top surgery: Gender-affirming mastectomy or breast augmentation can help develop the chest shape that patients want.
- Tracheal shave: This procedure removes cartilage from the front larynx to reduce the appearance of Adam’s apple.
- Vaginoplasty can be used to construct a vagina out of penile tissue.
- Penile construction can be used to construct a penis either using vaginal tissue or tissue from another body area.
- Revision surgery can help to correct past gender-reconstruction surgeries that had unsatisfying results.
If you are interested in learning more about gender-affirming surgical procedures, we encourage you to make an appointment.
Here at NewYork-Presbyterian, we know that you want the highest level of care and safety for your surgery. Our expanded Digital Health Services and commitment to cleanliness help ensure that you can continue your care to achieve optimum health.
Whether you visit us virtually through a video visit or you see us in person, you can be assured that we will deliver the highest standards of care with compassion. Our team has taken every step to keep our facilities safe for you to continue your care. Learn more about our safety measures and the changes we’ve made to enhance your patient experience.