What is Breast Reconstruction?
Some types of breast cancer treatments may involve the removal of breast tissue. Breast reconstruction can rebuild breast shape and has been shown to improve the emotional well-being of patients who have had mastectomies.
NewYork-Presbyterian plastic and reconstructive surgeons offer the most advanced breast reconstruction surgery options and techniques and have been leaders in the evolution of breast reconstruction.
Nipple-sparing mastectomies with concurrent reconstruction have been performed at NewYork-Presbyterian for the past 20 years, and this experience has positioned us as leaders for this technique. From the preparation to the healing process, our team is here to support you throughout every step.
Types of Breast Reconstruction
Breast reconstructions are typically performed on the same day as the mastectomy. The breasts are reconstructed using your skin tissue or with breast implants.
- Autologous reconstruction: This type of surgery uses your own body tissue to reconstruct nerves and breast structure. At NewYork-Presbyterian, we can use tissue from the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks to reconstruct breast tissue.
- Breast Innervation during autologous reconstruction: The novel reinnervation procedure only takes about 20 minutes. To reinnervate a reconstructed breast, a nerve in the abdominal flap is reconnected to a nerve in the chest
- Breast Innervation during implant reconstruction: During the mastectomy, the nerves that supply the skin and nipple are preserved and reconnected to the breast skin and nipple.
- DIEP flap reconstruction: DIEP stands for “deep inferior epigastric perforator artery.” This is the artery that runs through the abdomen. DIEP flap reconstruction is an innovative breast reconstruction technique that uses a flap of complete tissue from your abdomen to reconstruct your breast. This procedure creates a slimmer abdomen and breasts that look and feel natural.
- Implant-based reconstruction: Current practice guidelines discourage the use of textured implants, however surgeons at NewYork-Presbyterian utilize both saline and silicone breast implants from all implant manufacturers to best meet your clinical needs.
Whether you visit us virtually through a video visit or you see us in person, you can be assured that we will deliver the highest standards of care with compassion. Our team has taken every step to keep our facilities safe for you to continue your care. Learn more about our safety measures and the changes we’ve made to enhance your patient experience. Call to make an appointment today.