Community Health Initiatives
Ming-der Chang, Ph.D.
NewYork-Presbyterian Queens is a proud member of the NewYork-Presbyterian Healthcare System, one of the largest healthcare systems in the country, and an affiliate of the Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. In 2013, NewYork-Presbyterian Queens admitted close to 33,000 patients, had more than 162,000 outpatient visits, and treated 124,000 people through the emergency department. We offer high quality health care services in almost every specialty area.
NewYork-Presbyterian Queens has worked hard to build services that are sensitive to the customs, traditions and needs of our diverse community. The hospital has multi-lingual physicians, nurses and other staff who offer real-time language translation services in more than 100 languages and dialects. We also make considerable use of the Language Line® phone lines as well as our new mobile video interpretation technology. Beyond language, we offer menus featuring foods popular with Asian patients - it is like a “taste of home” while at our hospital.
“To provide linguistically and culturally competent service coupled with quality clinical care that meets the needs of our Chinese community.”
- We offer assistance in making medical appointments
- We provide hospitality - meet and greet, provide local newspaper, beverage, etc.
- We help navigate the patient and family throughout our hospital
- We assist in communicating with hospital staff
- We provide emotional support for the patient and family
- We connect the patient and family to hospital services and programs, such as:
- language service
- patient advocate
- religious and spiritual service
- social service (community resources; i.e. home care, financial support, legal service, child care, domestic violence protection agencies, mental health support, etc.)
- We help you manage your hospital stay so you can feel more secure and have the comforts of home
- We collaborate with local health care agencies and providers to deliver quality care for the community
- We partner with community organizations to promote early detection and prevention by providing health education and screenings
- 社工服務（連接社區資源，如家 庭護理、經濟補助、法律服務、兒童 保育、家暴輔助、心理健康輔助等）