If you or a loved one has a neuromuscular disorder, we understand that you may have weakness, numbness, pain, and sometimes more severe symptoms such as difficulty walking, talking, eating, or breathing, all of which can seriously affect how you feel and function each day. NewYork-Presbyterian Queens’ specialists are skilled at diagnosing and treating people with a range of neuromuscular disorders, including:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, also called Lou Gehrig Disease)
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Inflammatory myopathy (such as dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion body myositis)
- Mitochondrial disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
When you come to us for your care, you'll benefit from:
- A Team Assembled to Provide You with Comprehensive Care: Your multidisciplinary team includes doctors, nurses, and rehabilitation specialists who customize your treatment and rehabilitation to relieve your symptoms and help you to live more comfortably with your disease.
- An Accurate Diagnosis: It may be challenging to diagnose neuromuscular disorders because their symptoms resemble those of other diseases. So it's important to do a full work-up to determine the cause of your symptoms. We use a variety of tests to make an accurate diagnosis, including physical and neurological examinations, spinal tap, and electrodiagnostic tests (such as electromyography) to evaluate your muscle and nerve function, and sometimes a biopsy of skin, nerve, or muscle.
- Connections with Other Specialists: Since you may have other health problems, our neurologists and neurosurgeons work closely with NewYork-Presbyterian Queens clinicians in other specialties to coordinate the care you need for your specific medical needs.