Regenerative medicine aims to stimulate the body’s own healing ability to treat a number of degenerative conditions and sports-related injuries. At NewYork-Presbyterian Queens, our regenerative medicine experts offer the latest treatments to relieve pain and speed the healing of orthopedic conditions.
We specialize in well-established regenerative treatments, such as:
- Prolotherapy, a non-biologic treatment to stimulate the healing of tendon and ligament injuries and mild degenerative conditions.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP), which utilizes concentrated platelets from your blood that can release growth factors into the area of injury, further stimulating healing of the injured tissue or joint.
- Bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) involves harvesting bone marrow from the patient, which contains mesenchymal stem cells. We introduce this concentrated solution into a damaged joint or tissue to promote healing and some regeneration of the damaged tissue or cartilage.
Our doctors typically perform these procedures using image guidance, such as ultrasound, to assure accuracy and precision.
Conditions We Treat
- Lateral and medial epicondylitis (tennis and golfer's elbow)
- Rotator cuff tendinopathy and partial tears (in the shoulder)
- Hamstring tendinopathy (back of the thigh)
- Patellar (kneecap) tendinopathy
- Gastrocnemius (calf muscle) chronic strains
- Plantar fasciitis (inflammation of tissues in the sole of the foot)
- Adductor tendinopathy/sports hernia (groin pain)
- Back pain/sacroiliac joint pain
- Coccydynia (tailbone pain)
- Ligament laxity/sprains
- Jumper's knee (Osgood Schlatter's)