At NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, we understand that your child's illness or injury affects your entire family. Our certified child life specialists and licensed creative arts therapists provide family-centered care to address your needs and those of your child, your other children, and other family members. As vital members of your child's healthcare team, we develop an individualized plan of care to provide emotional support, prepare and educate you and your child about procedures and the hospital experience, provide therapeutic play, and foster creative expression.
Our family-centered approach to care includes the following programs:
- Child life specialists – Child life specialists provide emotional and psychosocial care to help make the hospital experience as manageable as possible for your child and family.
- Art and music therapy – enhances self-expression and relieve fear and anxiety.
- Family Resource Center – a welcoming place to get your important business done, request reliable health information from the health librarian and find a variety of useful resources (including coffee or tea), all without leaving the hospital.
- Charna’s Kids Club – A therapeutic program where your other children (ages 5 and older) can enjoy arts and crafts, music, drama, special events, group games, and other activities.
- School Program – Hospitalized children in grades K through 12 can keep up with their studies through the hospital’s school program, which provides a teacher certified through the New York City Department of Education.
- Wintergarden – Live events in the Wintergarden, the hospital's atrium on the lobby level, which are also broadcast via closed circuit television for patients and families unable to make it to the lobby.
- Children's Helping Advisory Team (C.H.A.T.) – A group of teen patients who advise the hospital on how to improve the medical experience.
- Family Advisory Council – A group of parents, hospital staff, and faculty who work together to make the hospital a better place for children and families and promotes family-centered care.
We are here to make the hospital experience as comfortable as possible for you and your family. Please do not hesitate to contact us to see what we can do for you.