NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital's indoor Wintergarden plaza, which is located in the hospital lobby, provides a wonderful venue for music, dance, choral, and dramatic performances. The Wintergarden plays an integral role in building a lasting bond between the hospital, our patients, and the community.
Wintergarden performances and events offer fun and interaction for children and their families at the hospital and offer a brief respite from their day-to-day medical routines. Programs are also broadcast via closed circuit television for patients and families unable to make it to the lobby.
The Wintergarden space is adjacent to the Children's Garden, an exterior seating and sculpture area that opens onto a larger landscaped courtyard, and it is bordered by the living history wall that displays a continuous loop of recent events and performances. Jou Jou Cafe and the Conference Center — an additional meeting facility with an integrated audiovisual system — are located just off the Wintergarden atrium.
Events and performances have included:
- Story hours, featuring authors like Eric Carle, Elise Primavera, Judy Viostrand, and Jane O'Connor
- Live theater and dramatic performances by various groups; Only Make Believe, the 36th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, the New York Theater Ballet, and SLK Ballet Company
- The Adventures of Zak, a musical production by the Magical Music for the Life Foundation.
- Grammy nominated pop stars Avril Lavigne and Natasha Bedingfield
- R&B sensation Mario Winans
- The cast from the Broadway musical A Christmas Carol
- Lollipop movies
- Morgan Stanley hosted events, such as our spring carnival, annual Pirate Party, and various arts/crafts events put on by them throughout the year
- Our annual Spring Prom
- New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning
- Baseball greats Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Robinson Cano
The Wintergarden also offers benefits for:
- Performers: As one of the premier entertainment venues in New York City, the Wintergarden has played host to hundreds of artists, musicians, and entertainers and has given them an environment for performing that not only allows them to display their talents and gain exposure, but also to play a role in the healing process by taking children and their families on an engaging journey into the world of performance art.
- Healthcare Professionals: The Wintergarden and Conference Center are also used to host scientific meetings, educational seminars, conferences, and lectures.
- The Community: The Wintergarden is available for various community-based activities, including literacy and health fairs, children's performances, advocacy group meetings, and other important community events.
Performance Space Information
- Square footage: 2,575
- Capacity: 100 to 350 contingent upon room setup
- Location: Adjacent to main entrance of the new patient tower building overlooking the Children's Garden courtyard
- Square footage: 1,206
- Capacity: 80 people
- Location: Adjacent to Wintergarden in lobby of Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital