Genetic Counseling & Breast Cancer Prevention
The Family Cancer Risk Assessment Program
The Family Cancer Risk Assessment Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital Cancer Center offers comprehensive cancer risk assessment and genetic counseling for patients and their families. The team evaluates personal and family medical histories. After the review, the counselor explains the risks that you and other family members may have for certain types of cancer and will present options for genetic testing, cancer prevention, and early cancer detection. For more information, call 718-780-5256.
Assessing your breast cancer risk
If you have an increased risk of breast cancer due to your personal or family medical history, you can consult with a genetic counselor and undergo genetic testing (for example, screening for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations). If you have such a mutation, we'll offer you options to decrease your risk of breast cancer and customize a screening plan to find it as early as possible, should it develop.
Who should consider genetic counseling?
Genetic counseling is recommended for people with a personal or family history (on the mother's or father's side) of:
- Cancer diagnosed before age 50, such as breast, ovarian, uterine, or colon cancer.
- Ovarian cancer diagnosed at any age.
- A breast or ovarian cancer diagnosis in an individual of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- More than 10 colon polyps.
- Several relatives diagnosed with cancer.
- More than one cancer diagnosis in the same individual, or multiple primary cancers.
- A rare or unusual cancer diagnosis.
- A known cancer gene mutation or syndrome in the family.
Breast cancer prevention
While breast cancer is not completely preventable, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing the disease. Physical exercise, balanced nutrition, practicing moderation in alcohol consumption, and abstaining from smoking are all beneficial for reducing cancer risk. Our team can help you incorporate these healthy lifestyle changes into your life.