Behavioral Health Primary Care Integration (Project 3.a.i)
What do we hope to accomplish?
- Ensure that NewYork-Presbyterian and New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI) outpatient behavioral health patients receive timely, coordinated and appropriate primary care services
Who is our target population?
- Adults and children who utilize known behavioral health clinics and are not regularly receiving primary care services
How will we do it?
- Identify behavioral health patients who are not receiving comprehensive care
- Embed primary care resources within behavioral health practices to provide engagement, prevention and continuity of care
- Educate and encourage providers to take a holistic approach to treatment in behavioral health practices
- Develop and implement practices that will encourage the patients’ primary care, community and psychiatry teams to communicate and coordinate services
- Connect patients to Community Healthcare Workers
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community organizations
NY State Requirements
- Co-locate primary care services at behavioral health sites.
- Develop collaborative evidence-based standards of care including medication management and care engagement process.
- Conduct preventive care screenings, including behavioral health screenings implemented for all patients to identify unmet needs.
- Use EHRs or other technical platforms to track all patients engaged in this project.
Scale and Speed
Metric: The total number of patients receiving primary care services at participating mental health or substance abuse sites
Commitment: At the completion of Year 4, BH Integration will provide collocated primary care and behavioral health services to 2,258 patients annually.