Visitor Policy Change due to COVID-19
In response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak and in line with our revised Visitation Guidelines, only select entrances will be open at each Hospital throughout the NewYork-Presbyterian system. All other entrances will be closed and inaccessible to patients, visitors, and staff. The health and safety of our patients, visitors, employees, and our communities remain our top priority at NewYork-Presbyterian. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our goal is to keep staff, patients, and visitors safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Below is information about the virus and tips on how to stay healthy.
What is a coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are viruses that cause sicknesses like the common cold. A new coronavirus was identified in 2019, SARS-CoV-2, which has caused a global pandemic. The sickness caused by this virus is now called COVID-19.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms can include fever, cough, trouble breathing, sore throat, muscle aches, diarrhea, nasal congestion, headache, chills, new onset loss of smell, and altered sense of taste. Most people have only mild symptoms, but some can become very sick.
How do I stay healthy?
Here are tips on how to stay healthy:
- Wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow rather than your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
In addition to these basic health and hygiene practices, other prevention actions include:
- Stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccines
- Get tested for COVID-19 if needed
- Follow recommendations for what to do if you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19
- Stay home if you have suspected or confirmed COVID-19
- Seek treatment if you have COVID-19 and are at high risk of getting very sick
What is NYP continuing to do to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic?
NewYork-Presbyterian continues to follow directions from our local and state departments of health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Our medical staff is trained to recognize patients who may have COVID-19 infection and to keep the virus from spreading.
Where can I get more information?
More information can be found on the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/.