At NewYork-Presbyterian, our experienced gynecologic surgeons provide advanced gynecologic surgical care using the latest techniques for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.
These techniques include laparoscopy and robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery to treat gynecologic disorders, such as pelvic pain, endometriosis, abnormal bleeding, and fibroids.
What is Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (MIGS)?What is MIGS?
Minimally invasive gynecological surgical techniques, including laparoscopy and robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery, are used to treat various gynecologic conditions. Compared to traditional open surgery, minimally invasive procedures involve one or a few small incisions rather than a single large incision. The advantages include:
- Less pain
- Less blood loss
- Less risk of infection
- Shorter hospitalizations
- Faster recovery
- Minimal scarring
Types of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic SurgeryTypes
Our gynecologic surgeons use a variety of minimally invasive surgery:
- Hysteroscopy: A hysteroscope (a slim, light-transmitting telescope) views and operates inside the uterus
- Laparoscopy: A light-transmitting laparoscope (telescope) views the abdomen and pelvis and allows surgeons to perform procedures without making major incisions
- Robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery: Provides the surgeon with greater agility and enhanced, high-resolution 3D imaging to perform delicate procedures with greater control and precision
- Vaginal access minimally invasive surgery: Uses the vaginal opening to access organs in the pelvic cavity and requires no abdominal incisions
Gynecologic Conditions we TreatConditions we Treat
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our gynecologic surgeons have subspecialty training in minimally invasive surgical techniques to treat gynecologic conditions such as:
- Ovarian cysts
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Pelvic adhesions
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Cervical disorders
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Congenital (Mullerian) anomalies
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Procedures we OfferProcedures we Offer
Our expert gynecologic surgeons perform various procedures using minimally invasive techniques. Many surgeries, including hysterectomies and vaginal prolapse repair, can be done with tiny incisions, allowing faster and less painful recovery.
Laparoscopic and robot-assisted approaches
- Biopsies: Taking samples of tissue for diagnostic purposes
- Hysterectomy: Removal of the uterus through tiny incisions
- Myomectomy: Removal of fibroids for patients who desire to retain their uterus for childbearing. When the fibroids involve the uterus' cavity, they can sometimes be removed through hysteroscopy without incisions.
- Salpingo-oophorectomy: Removal of the ovaries or fallopian tubes through small incisions performed to treat ovarian cysts and masses or as part of treatment for pelvic pain caused by severe endometriosis or inflammatory disease.
- Prolapse repair: Laparoscopic vault suspension or vaginal approaches attach the vagina to the strong ligaments attached to the sacrum using a variety of minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Ovarian cystectomy: Removal of ovarian cysts while leaving the ovaries in place
- Excision of endometriosis: Removal of uterine-like tissue growing outside of the uterus
- Ultrasound-guided laparoscopic radiofrequency ablation: Uses ultrasound to target fibroids and heat to shrink individual fibroids
- Vaginal hysterectomy: In some cases, hysterectomy can be performed through the vagina with no abdominal incisions
- Vaginal prolapse repair: Disorders of pelvic support may be treated vaginally in some patients
- Ultrasound-guided transvaginal radiofrequency ablation: Uses heat to target and shrink fibroids without harming the uterus
Our Approach to CareOur Approach to Care
One of our greatest assets is the compassionate care delivered every day by our dedicated physicians and staff. We view each patient as a whole person with emotional, ethical, spiritual, and physical needs.
We accurately and efficiently diagnose each patient's condition and develop a targeted treatment plan that considers the patient's symptoms, goals, and reproductive plans. We offer a variety of innovative, state-of-the-art approaches, including minimally invasive surgical procedures and fertility-protecting treatments. Through every step of diagnosis, treatment, and recovery, we empower the patient with the information needed to make informed decisions.
Our goal is to offer the best treatment through the least invasive method. We are constantly exploring innovative surgical techniques. While we are often referred to as specialists in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, we have become specialists in advanced pelvic surgery.
Our Gynecologic ExpertsOur Team
At NewYork-Presbyterian our gynecologic surgeons collaborate with a vast network of specialists from a wide range of disciplines, including reproductive endocrinology and infertility and maternal-fetal medicine, to provide the best health care with superb outcomes for the most complicated cases. We also work closely with pain management and integrative medicine specialists to manage the many complex symptoms of gynecologic conditions that affect a patient’s health and wellbeing.
Why Choose UsWhy Choose Us
Experts in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Our gynecology teams have unmatched expertise in minimally invasive approaches for treating the most complex and challenging gynecologic conditions.
As leaders and innovators in the field, our gynecology team works collaboratively to develop and refine minimally invasive techniques that ease patients' recovery with fewer complications. These include the ever-growing application of robotics in fertility-sparing and fertility-enhancing surgery to treat fibroids, endometriosis, and pelvic floor conditions.
Pioneers in robotic-assisted surgery
Robotic-assisted surgery is used in procedures such as laparoscopic hysterectomy, myomectomy (fibroid removal) for uterine preservation, and correcting vaginal prolapse. It enables the surgeon to perform minimally invasive surgery with greater agility, precision, and control.
Our experts are among the world's most experienced gynecologic robotic surgeons. Many lead innovative research so that our patients have access to the latest treatment options. They are committed to the continual pursuit of progress in the labs and at the bedside to achieve the best possible outcomes and quality of life for our patients.
Fibroids: 7 Facts To Know Fibroids: 7 Facts To Know
Uterine fibroids can cause significant symptoms and impede pregnancy. NewYork-Presbyterian offers the latest fertility-sparing treatments.
The Essential Women’s Health Checklist The Essential Women’s Health Checklist
The latest guidelines for the tests, screenings, and exams women need at all stages of life.
OB-GYN Chiefs: Why I Care for Women OB-GYN Chiefs: Why I Care for Women
NewYork-Presbyterian’s OB-GYN chiefs share the top things women need to know about their health today.
Contact Us for an Appointment
Our expert gynecologic surgeons offer care in several convenient locations across Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Westchester County. Our facilities include renovated operating rooms and state-of-the-art technology, including the Da Vinci Xi robotic platform, in a comfortable and convenient setting.
Virtual visits are also available for most new and follow-up visits.
NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Herbert Irving Pavilion
NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
NewYork-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital
Formerly Lawrence Hospital
NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital
ColumbiaDoctors - Midtown
ColumbiaDoctors - Westchester
Weill Cornell Medicine
Iris Cantor Women’s Health Center