What is Pediatric Orthopedics?
Pediatric orthopedics is a branch of medical care devoted to treating children’s muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments, and bones. Pediatric orthopedic specialists can perform nonsurgical and surgical treatments to correct orthopedic disorders in children caused by inherited genetics, disease, injuries, or accidents.
While types of child and adult orthopedic conditions may overlap, an orthopedic pediatrician has specialized expertise when it comes to your child’s developing joints, muscles, and bones.
Conditions We Treat
If a child is having musculoskeletal issues, it’s important to consult a pediatric orthopedist as soon as possible. Because children’s bodies are still growing and changing, quick intervention could correct the condition or prevent future complications.
NewYork-Presbyterian provides care for the following pediatric orthopedic conditions, disorders, and injuries:
- Bowlegs/Blount’s Disease (growth disorder where the legs bow outward just below the knees)
- Knock knees
- Cerebral palsy
- Bone fractures and other orthopedic trauma
- Hand disorders
- Hip dysplasia
- In-toeing and out-toeing
- Leg length discrepancy (one leg is shorter than the other)
- Motor neuron diseases
- Muscular dystrophy
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Osteogenesis imperfecta (genetic disorder that makes children prone to fractures)
- Perthes disease (reduced blood flow to the head of the thighbone)
- Prader Willi syndrome (genetic disorder that affects musculoskeletal development)
- Spine deformities: scoliosis and kyphosis, with a special focus on early-onset scoliosis.
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (an adolescent hip disorder)
- Spina bifida (myelodysplasia)
- Sports injuries
- Tibial pseudarthrosis (rare disorder where shinbone fractures don’t heal properly)
- Tumors of the bones and soft tissues
Our Team of Expert Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeons and Specialists
A reputation for excellence. NewYork-Presbyterian is home to world-renowned pediatric orthopedic surgeons. Children come to us from around the country and the world to receive cutting-edge care aimed at restoring mobility and function. Our doctors have helped set the standards for the care of many childhood orthopedic conditions. Our research achievements have profoundly influenced the techniques used today to restore mobility and function in young patients worldwide.
Quality care, addressed in one center. We believe in treating the whole child. That’s why our pediatric orthopedic surgeons connect you with the best nurses, nurse practitioners, physical and occupational therapists, orthotic and prosthetic specialists, social workers, and child life specialists. In addition, your child has access to all the medical and surgical subspecialists who practice at NewYork-Presbyterian, ensuring that all medical needs can be addressed in one place.
Treatments We Offer
NewYork-Presbyterian provides comprehensive and compassionate care. Our pediatric orthopedic specialists will create a customized treatment plan to address your child’s specific needs.
We provide the following:
- Pediatric orthopedic surgery for a spectrum of orthopedic conditions
- Nonsurgical orthopedic treatments. Whenever possible, we strive for less invasive solutions when treating your child.
- Emergency care for traumatic orthopedic injuries. Our emergency rooms are prepared for traumatic injuries, some with services dedicated to children. Treating these injuries, such as bone fractures in children, differs from treating adult fractures since children’s fractures can involve growth plates, which can affect how the bone heals and grows.
- Rehabilitation. Our dedicated Pediatric Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation service creates a pathway to recovery for children who require physical or occupational therapy after a serious injury to maximize functionality and quality of life. We’ll also help get young athletes back in the game with injury prevention and performance-enhancing programs.
- Specialized scoliosis treatment. Our pediatric orthopedic surgeons perform more spine surgeries than any other hospital in New York and are skilled in performing pediatric spinal surgeries. For early-onset scoliosis in children, we focus on noninvasive treatment approaches.
- Cerebral palsy. Our Weinberg Family Cerebral Palsy Center works to provide an integrated treatment plan and ongoing support. From pain management to mobility, a team of professionals will address your child’s needs and help them transition from pediatric to adult care.
Pediatric Orthopedics News & Stories
Trust NewYork-Presbyterian’s Team of Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeons and Specialists
The pediatric orthopedic surgeons and specialists of NewYork-Presbyterian have unparalleled experience in treating all types of orthopedic conditions in children to prevent long-lasting damage.
From birth defects to trauma, sports injuries, spine deformities, and neuromuscular disorders, our specialists are here to treat your child’s orthopedic health problems with expertise and kindness. Contact NewYork-Presbyterian for the best in pediatric orthopedic solutions.