For someone recovering from an injury or surgery, seemingly simple tasks can be challenging. Whether its basic self-care activities such as dressing, bathing, grooming, or feeding, to more complex skills, such as shopping, preparing meals, taking medications and managing finances, an occupational therapist can help you navigate your environment by promoting independence with activities of daily living.
Why Choose Us
Comprehensive Occupational Therapy
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our occupational therapists are knowledgeable in treating a wide range of conditions and facilitate your recovery by using the latest in advanced technology, applied research, and proven treatments to help you regain independence in your everyday life.
Whether you are recovering from a stroke or surgery, our occupational therapists work closely with you and your referring physician to design a treatment plan that meets your specific needs – such as getting stronger, increasing flexibility, improving coordination, cognition or vision.
Our occupational therapists provide outpatient adult and pediatric rehabilitation services at a variety of locations, as well as video visits for many of our specialties. We also offer inpatient occupational therapy services at two acute inpatient rehabilitation units located at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
SERVICES & SPECIALTIES
Conditions We Treat
- Arthritis, and other causes of joint stiffness and discomfort
- Surgery, such as joint replacement and other orthopedic surgeries
- Acute and post-surgical injuries to the hand and arms
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Burn rehabilitation
- Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke and other neurological events
- Vestibular (balance) dysfunction
- Facial nerve injuries
- Neuropathy and other nerve discomfort
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Cognitive impairments
- Head trauma, concussion and traumatic brain injury
- Visual impairments
- Head and neck cancer
- Effects of breast cancer and its treatments
OUR APPROACH TO CARE
Learning to Move Using Advanced Technology
Our team of occupational therapists provide customized treatment plans aimed at improving your ability to perform daily tasks at home and at work.
NewYork-Presbyterian prides itself in utilizing advanced technology to assess and treat a variety of impairments.
During your one-on-one sessions, our therapists may use the following technology to tailor your recovery*:
- Video Frenzel or Infrared Goggles to aide in vestibular assessments
- Biodex Balance Master™ to assess balance while standing and moving
- Bertec™ Computerized Dynamic Posturography, combines virtual environments with balance force plate technology to provide both assessment and targeted therapy interventions for patients suffering from dizziness, balance problems and/or motion sensitivity
- Armeo™ gaming technology to improve arm and hand function
- Rapael Glove™ multisensory feedback technology for the recovery of hand function
- Saebo™ for functional hand and arm training
- InMotion™ Shoulder/Elbow Robotic System to improve strength and function in the hand, wrist, arm, and shoulder after a stroke or other neurological disorder
- BTE Simulator II™, which replicates activities related to work hardening
*Please note that equipment availability varies by hospital location.
Advanced Care from Leaders in the Field
When it comes it occupational therapy, it is vital to ensure you are seen by therapists who are experienced and knowledgeable.
NewYork-Presbyterian boasts a team of highly trained occupational therapists with advanced certifications, including*:
- Neuro-Integrative Functional Rehabilitation and Habituation certification
- Vestibular certification
- Lymphedema certification
- Certified hand therapists
- Certified LSVT BIG therapists
- Certified stroke rehab specialists
- Certified wound therapists
*Please note certification varies by hospital location