Nutritional counseling is a key component of care for children with digestive disorders. At NewYork-Presbyterian, registered dietitians work closely with pediatric gastroenterologists and other members of our digestive disorders teams to identify the nutritional needs of each child in our care. Through personalized assessments and consultations, we can help your child establish a healthy lifestyle to grow and flourish during critical phases of their development.
About Our Program
At NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital and NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital, our nutrition teams provide nutritional counseling to children and parents to ensure they are receiving the best possible nutrition at every phase of life.
As nutrition plays a central role in managing digestive disorders, our pediatric gastroenterologists conduct a thorough nutritional assessment of all our pediatric patients, performing a physical examination to evaluate nutritional status, looking at vitamin and nutrient levels as well as assessing caloric and fluid intake. They work closely with our registered dietitian to develop a nutrition plan that fits your child’s, and your family’s lifestyle.
Our dietitians have specialized training in medical nutrition therapy for children with digestive diseases and issues, including:
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Hepatobiliary diseases
- Short Bowel Syndrome
- Cystic fibrosis
- Poor growth
- Overweight and obesity
- Food allergies
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Tube Feeding
Our Approach to Care
Holistic and Comprehensive Care
We recognize that every child with a digestive disorder has a unique set of symptoms, circumstances, and needs. We take a holistic approach to care that considers the entire patient, including his or her physical, emotional, and social factors. We strive to partner with patients and their parents in shared decision-making, empowering them with knowledge, support, and the most effective treatment options to achieve the best possible outcome for every child.
Parents As Team Members
As a parent, only you can provide important information about your child. You can also help other team members shape your child's personalized treatment program based on your child's physical, emotional, and practical needs. Your input is critical for making final decisions regarding your child's care and our multidisciplinary team is here to work alongside you and your family to achieve the greatest possible outcomes for your child.
Services We Provide
We offer nutritional guidance and support to address a wide range of children’s digestive disorders and needs, including:
- Nutrition Counselling for Poor Weight Gain: We focus on correcting nutritional deficiencies early to support normal growth and development.
- Treating Digestive disorders: Our team provides guidance on the potential of nutritional therapy to manage digestive disorders such as inflammatory bowel disease and eosinophilic esophagitis.
- Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome: We provide guidance for specific elimination diets for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Treating Children with Feeding Difficulty: We treat children with feeding and swallowing disorders in collaboration with our expert speech and swallowing therapists, working closely with caregivers to create a nutritional regimen for their children.
- Supporting tube feedings and intravenous nutrition: Our staff also has in-depth knowledge and experience regarding the management of tube feedings and intravenous nutrition
- Nutrition and Lifestyle Counselling for Overweight Children and Adolescents: Our nutritional staff works closely with families to create a healthy dietary regimen to manage weight gain, elevated cholesterol, prediabetes, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). The team also coordinates with our weight loss surgery experts for adolescent patients who are unable to achieve a healthy weight using conventional diet and exercise regimens.
Why Choose Us
Nationally Ranked Children’s Hospitals
Both NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital are among the nation's leading centers for the diagnosis and treatment of childhood digestive diseases. They are both major referral centers for complex and rare digestive disorders in infants, children, and adolescents.
Expertise in Nutritional Therapy
Our team has deep expertise with nutritional therapies for pediatric digestive diseases and an understanding of the challenges they pose for children, adolescents, and their families.
Access to World-Class Pediatric Specialists
NewYork-Presbyterian has more top pediatric specialists than any other hospital in New York according to Castle Connolly. Your child's healthcare team has access to all of the various pediatric medical and surgical subspecialists who practice at NewYork-Presbyterian, ensuring that all of your child's medical needs can be addressed.