The Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital offers a wide range of ambulatory services for patients from infancy through adulthood. Our departmental vision is to provide patient-centered, evidenced-based clinical care through interdisciplinary teamwork to impact our patients and the community through a highly engaged, skilled, and empathetic team.
Our talented and dedicated team consists of physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologists. We provide many specialty services to meet the individual needs of our patients. The rehabilitation team works together to develop a comprehensive plan for each patient to achieve greater independence and quality of life.
Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation: Our board-certified rehabilitation physicians and therapists provide hospital consultations, admission and inpatient rehabilitation care.
Tel: 718-780-3233 for admission
Comprehensive Subacute Consult Service (CSCS): Our expert physiatrists provide rehabilitation medicine consultation in subacute facilities. Tel: 646-468-2082
Programs & Services
- Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program: Our team of rehabilitation physicians and therapists work to address ongoing respiratory and neurologic dysfunction, pain, or debility experienced after a COVID-19 diagnosis.
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation and Aftercare Program: Our fellowship-trained board-certified brain injury physiatrists provide comprehensive brain injury rehabilitation care.
- Orthopedic rehabilitation therapy helps patients fully recover from an orthopedic injury or illness. Partnering with the Department of Orthopedics we offer outpatient physical and occupational therapy to those experiencing a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Neurological rehabilitations provide care for patients with neurological disorders such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Vestibular Rehabilitation is an exercise-based program to address dizziness and balance problems that are associated with vestibular dysfunction.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation is an exercise-based program that can help you overcome challenges like shortness of breath, endurance, fatigue, and weakness, including those associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Pelvic rehabilitation for women and men is a highly specialized area of physical therapy that addresses many different disorders related to the pelvis. Our experienced staff evaluates problems related to urination, defecation, pelvic pain, and prenatal/postpartum issues.
- Lymphedema is swelling and congestion in one of the extremities commonly caused by the removal of or damage to the lymph nodes as a part of cancer treatment or other conditions.
- Hand therapy is a specialized field of rehabilitation that assesses and treats various conditions of the upper extremity (shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist, and hand).
- Pediatric Physical Therapy
Our pediatric therapist is skilled in providing evaluation and treatment of various disorders that interfere with a child’s ability to perform age-appropriate skills or tasks. This may include difficulties with gross motor coordination, fine motor coordination, muscle imbalances, sensory-motor coordination, and gait abnormalities.
- Geriatrics rehabilitation physicians provide specialized rehabilitative care for those 65 and older.
- Cancer Rehabilitation physicians address your rehabilitation needs related to your cancer diagnosis or treatments.
- Lifestyle Medicine: Our board-certified Lifestyle Medicine physician provides both telehealth visits and in person appointments to help you implement Lifestyle Medicine interventions to address chronic diseases and for wellness.
- Spine Care: Our physicians are board-certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and in Interventional Pain Medicine. They specialize in providing care for a wide range of painful conditions of the spine, joints, muscles, and nerves using minimally invasive techniques such as fluoroscopically guided spine procedures, ultrasound-guided peripheral nerve blocks, and neuromodulation.
- Sports Medicine: our board-certified fellowship-trained sports medicine physiatrists provide comprehensive management of acute and chronic sports injuries, concussion care, and injury prevention.