Pregnancy can be a joyful experience for many. Some parents, however, may learn their unborn baby has a congenital disability (fetal anomaly) that requires special care. At NewYork-Presbyterian, you'll receive comprehensive, compassionate care from a multidisciplinary team of experts, all delivered in a soothing and serene environment.
What is Perinatal Care?What is Perinatal Care?
Perinatal care is health care for both mother and baby before, during, and after childbirth. At NewYork-Presbyterian, our physicians provide specialized perinatal care for complicated or high-risk pregnancies. These situations arise when a mother or their fetus has a serious medical condition. Whatever the need, we provide seamless access to a breadth of specialists in perinatal care.
Our Perinatal Care ProgramsOur Programs
From pre-pregnancy medical screening to newborn care, NewYork-Presbyterian's highly trained specialists are here to support you through pregnancy and birth. Our expert neonatal care team is immediately available for tiny and fragile newborns and any complications that may occur after delivery.
Our programs feature:
- A team of perinatal specialists: We bring together all the experts needed to care for you and your baby. Our highly skilled neonatologists and maternal-fetal medicine specialists collaborate with our renowned pediatric subspecialists to provide care based on the latest scientific advances. From your first contact with our centers, we are here every step of the way, providing support throughout your care.
- Accurate screening and diagnosis: We offer many perinatal screening tests, including ultrasound, fetal echocardiography, amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, cordocentesis (fetal blood sampling), and fetal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Comprehensive care for birth defects: We offer care for congenital heart disease, multiple pregnancies, Rh disease and anemia, bladder outlet obstructions, pleural effusion (fluid in the lungs), abnormalities of the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), chest, urinary tract, abdomen, and skeleton.
- Expertise in newborn surgery: Should your baby require surgery due to any perinatal conditions shortly after birth, our pediatric surgery program and subspecialty surgical programs are among the strongest in our area. Whenever possible, we perform surgery using minimally invasive techniques (such as laparoscopy and thoracoscopy), resulting in smaller incisions, less discomfort, and a faster recovery for your baby than open surgery.
- World-renowned care for fetal heart defects: We are particularly well-known for our expertise in pediatric heart surgery, including the care of newborns. Through the NewYork-Presbyterian Congenital Heart Center, our pediatric cardiac surgeons perform more than 700 cardiac operations each year, including some 175 heart repairs in newborn infants. Our surgeons routinely treat some of the most complex cases, many referred from other institutions.
- Support and guidance to transition home: When your baby is ready to go home, we provide you with guidance and education to prepare you and your family. Social workers and other psychosocial support specialists can help you with any emotional support you may need as you embark on your new lives together. They can also connect you with resources in your own community.
Get Care from our Perinatal SpecialistsGet Care
NewYork-Presbyterian provides perinatal care at convenient locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Westchester, with specialized, high-risk care available at The Carmen and John Thain Center for Prenatal Pediatrics at NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and The Fetal Care Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Contact the NewYork-Presbyterian hospital nearest you for additional information.
NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children's Hospital
Fetal Care Center
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Thain Center for Prenatal Pediatrics