NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester (formerly Lawrence Hospital) and our Columbia Sports Medicine specialists have exceptional expertise caring for athletes with all types of bone, joint, muscle, tendon, and other sports-related injuries and conditions.
Our orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians, rehabilitation and pain management physicians, physical and occupational therapists, and clinical staff collaborate to provide you with the most advanced treatment and compassionate care, backed by the latest scientific research.
Serving Elite Athletes
NewYork-Presbyterian and Columbia University Irving Medical Center’s sports medicine experts serve as team physicians for pro, semi-pro and collegiate teams including the New York Yankees, New York City Football Club, Columbia University, Fordham University, and the Rockland Boulders. This team of world-renowned clinicians provides the same elite-level care to athletes of all skill levels at multiple locations in Westchester.
We treat all types of acute and chronic sports medicine injuries, including:
- Achilles tendon disorders
- Ankle sprains
- Elbow ligament or “Tommy John” injuries
- Fractures and other musculoskeletal trauma
- Golfers' elbow and tennis elbow
- Joint instability and dislocation
- Knee ligament and cartilage injuries, such as ACL, MCL, and meniscus tears
- Labral tears of the shoulder
- Athletic hip injuries
- Chronic and acute back and neck pain
- Muscle sprains, strains, and tears
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rotator cuff tears
- Runner's knee (patellofemoral syndrome)
- Tendon, ligament, muscle, and soft tissue injuries
Before considering surgery, we'll see if we can help you first with non-operative treatment. Our sports medicine physicians, pain management physicians, and physical therapists specialize in the non-operative care of sports injuries through advanced diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound, manual therapy, biologic treatments, and additional advanced medical therapies. Most injuries can be treated effectively without surgery.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Board-certified in both Primary Care Sports Medicine and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, our Columbia sports medicine and rehabilitation physicians are experts in the diagnosis and management of sports injuries and movement imbalances. They provide nonsurgical treatments to relieve discomfort, restore function, and optimize sports performance, offering:
- Injury prevention and rehabilitation guidance
- In-office diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound and ultrasound-guided injections
- "Orthobiologic" treatment options to promote natural tissue healing
- Osteopathic manipulation
- Concussion care so you can get back to your favorite activities
Advanced Physical Therapy
Our sports therapy team works with you to assist with recovery from an injury or a surgical procedure, helping you get back to your active lifestyle quickly and safely. With specialized training in manual therapy, sports-specific techniques, and experience working with athletes of all skill levels, our physical therapists help you recover and gain strength and flexibility using advanced technologies and the latest techniques:
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization
- Blood flow restriction, using a device to adjust pressure on the upper arm or upper thigh so you can work at a low level of resistance while achieving the benefits of a higher resistance level
- Med4 Elite® Game Ready® units, which can be used in multiple ways to apply iceless cold therapies (cryotherapy), controllable heat therapy (thermotherapy), rapid contrast therapy (a way to improve blood flow to an injured area and reduce nerve sensitivity and pain), and active compression therapies (to reduce swelling and enhance blood flow).
- Banding (the use of resistance bands to build strength and flexibility)
- TRX Suspension Weight Training
Minimally Invasive Surgery
If you need surgery, the Columbia Orthopedics team at NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester uses minimally invasive surgical approaches whenever possible to repair your injury — including advanced arthroscopic techniques, operating through small incisions and often on an outpatient basis. If you need an open surgical procedure for a more complex surgical repair or reconstruction, our orthopedic specialists are experts in performing those procedures as well.
Treatment for Athletes of All Ages
Growing athletes require a specialized approach that accounts for their developing bodies and future goals on and off the field. Our team includes specialists in pediatric sports medicine who have advanced fellowship training in the special requirements for treating pediatric and adolescent athletes. We take a holistic approach to caring for young athletes, and consider the psychosocial and academic impact of injury—while always striving to deliver the most conservative, effective, and safe approach to healing injury and restoring function.
In addition to sports medicine and physical therapy services, we offer a unique sports performance training program at the NewYork-Presbyterian Sports Performance in Scarsdale where elite trainers from EXOS, a national leader in proactive sports performance, work with you to up your game, enhance your athletic ability, and prevent future injury.