If you or a loved one has an illness, injury, or other disorders that have affected communication, cognition or swallowing abilities, a speech-language pathologist can help.
WHY CHOOSE US
Comprehensive Speech-Language Pathology and Swallowing Assessment and Treatment
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our speech-language pathologists are knowledgeable in treating a wide range of conditions using the latest in applied research, technology, and proven treatments to help you recover. We offer one-on-one therapy sessions to assess, diagnose, and treat communication and swallowing disorders.
Our speech-language pathologists provide outpatient adult and pediatric rehabilitation services at a variety of locations, as well as video visits for many of our specialties. We also offer inpatient speech-language pathology services at two acute inpatient rehabilitation units located at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
SERVICES & SPECIALTIES
Conditions We Treat
- Alzheimer’s disease and other progressive neurological disorders
- Apraxia of speech
- Cognition, including memory, attention and processing
- Dysphagia and other swallowing problems
- Effects of head and neck cancer and its treatment
- Pre & post radiation treatment and management of dysphagia and communication
- Pre & post-surgical treatment and management of dysphagia and communication
- Neurological conditions affecting speech, swallowing and cognition
- Parkinson’s disease
- Speaking valve and voice prosthesis application
- Stroke and other brain injuries
- Voice disorders
OUR APPROACH TO CARE
A Customized Treatment Plan
Our speech-language pathologists work with you and your referring physician to create a customized treatment plan to help improve your success.
Treatments may focus on communication and cognition such as speech production, auditory comprehension, verbal expression, reading, writing, attention, problem solving and other related cognitive-communication issues.
We offer expert swallowing evaluations and tailored treatment plans, including recommendations about food textures, mealtime safety techniques, strategies to compensate for swallowing problems and patient specific exercise programs as well as follow-up care.
During your session, our therapists may use the following instruments to assess, and manage your swallowing or communication difficulties*:
- Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Modified Barium Swallow Study (MBS) / Videofluoroscopy Swallow Study
- Standardized Speech Language and Cognitive Assessment
- Iowa Oral Performance Instrument (IOPI)
- Inspiratory/Expiratory Muscle Strength Training
- Passy Muir Speaking Valve
- Tracheoesophageal prosthesis
*Please note availability varies by hospital location.
Advanced Care from Leaders in the Field
When looking for a speech-language therapist, finding a specialist with knowledge and expertise in the field is important.
At New York Presbyterian, our speech-language pathologists are leaders in the field — conducting research and educating the next generation of therapists, all while providing world-class care.
All our therapists hold Certificates of Clinical Competence in speech-language pathology (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Many of our therapists are also certified in *:
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT LOUD)
- Modified Barium Swallow Impairment profile (MBSImp)
- Board Certified in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders
*Please note certifications vary by hospital location