The health and vitality of our employees are crucial to patients and colleagues, as well as the family of employees. The NYP Queens Employee Wellness Program offers health education materials, exercise challenges, nutrition classes and resources to quit smoking in addition to discounts at local gyms and Weight Watchers® to assist employees in being healthy and happy and to lower their risk of disease and improve their overall well-being.
The “Health & Wellness” Program has five key goals
- Help employees identify personal health risks
- Encourage personal responsibility for health and wellness
- Provide motivation and support to help employees make healthy choices
- Mitigate health care costs through disease prevention
- Improve overall employee morale and well-being
Not only does a healthier lifestyle increase physical health, but it also improves mental health. Physical activity and healthy eating have been proven to boost energy levels throughout the day and increase the release of endorphins, which improves moods, and controls mood swings.
- Get between 30 and 90 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Eat MORE fruits and vegetables to prevent obesity & other chronic diseases.
- Be Tobacco-Free! Quit smoking and other tobacco products.
- Check food labels to help control portion sizes.
In supporting your efforts toward eating better and being physically active, we coordinate challenges throughout every department of the hospital. All it takes is flexibility, creativity and a new way of defining exercise.