Specialized Rehabilitation Services for Our Young Patients
Rehabilitation is critically important for children with special needs. Early, expert rehabilitation can help children with neurological, musculoskeletal, or other disorders grow and develop well into adulthood and live independent lives. At NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, our physical medicine and rehabilitation experts provide services for children of all ages. Our team includes one of just 250 board-certified pediatric physical medicine doctors—called physiatrists—in the country. Our mission is to improve your child’s function and quality of life.
- Collaborative Care: Our multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech language pathologists work together to create a plan to improve your child's function and reduce the need for orthopedic surgery. We combine physical therapy, biofeedback, occupational therapy, and speech therapy to address your child's physical movement and coordination, speech, vision, and intellectual development.
- Early Intervention: Earlier is better when it comes to therapy. By providing physical medicine and rehabilitation services as early as possible in your child's life, our pediatric rehabilitation specialists can often improve function, prevent or delay the need for surgery, and enhance quality of life sooner.
- Continuum of Care: We continually adjust and refine our treatments based on your child's anticipated growth. Members of our pediatric rehabilitation team have unique training and can assess your child's specific needs, create a personalized program of care, and monitor your child as he or she grows to ensure that the care plan is continually adapted to his or her development.
- Family-Centered Care: Caring for a child with a neurological or musculoskeletal disorder or other physical challenges affects the entire family. We work closely with your family to address your child’s physical and emotional needs and assess how these needs influence your family dynamic. We can also work with your child's school and therapists to help support educational development.
- Pinpointing Pain Sources in CP: It can be challenging to sort out the causes of musculoskeletal pain, pain from spasticity and stiffness, and pain from other complications in patients with cerebral palsy. Our experts can help identify the source of your child’s pain, and provide a referral to the right subspecialist at NewYork-Presbyterian for further care.
- Exceptional Treatments: We are among the few centers in the world who use an approach called single event multi-level chemoneurolysis (SEMLC) — injections of botulinum toxin (Botox®) or ethanol to the nerves and muscles. This treatment prevents the nerves from stimulating the muscles, thereby relaxing tightened muscles and relieving pain. This combined approach produces outstanding outcomes in children with neuromuscular problems.
- Cutting-Edge Research: We are involved in range of clinical research studies to develop new treatments for children with disabling illnesses. For example, we are currently evaluating a new form of robot-assisted rehabilitation therapy for children with cerebral palsy and related weakness.