Summer Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice
This is a healthy and tasty dish that can be prepared any time of the year using fresh, seasonal vegetables
from your local farmers market. Lean chicken is a great source of protein combined with the fiber in brown rice leaving you satisfied after a well-balanced meal.
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoon reduced-fat vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing
- 3 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into short thin strips
- 2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 cups snow pea pods
- 1 red or yellow pepper, cut into short thin strips
- 2 green onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
Chicken and Vegetables
- Combine dressing, soy sauce, and pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
- Place chicken in the bowl with dressing mixture, coating the chicken.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add snow peas and bell pepper, stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken mixture, stir-fry for 3 minutes. Cook until mixture is thoroughly heated and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Top with cilantro and chives.
- Combine 2 cups of brown rice with 4 cups of water in a pot.
- Bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered.
- Reduce the heat to a low/simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes.
- Serve Summer Chicken Stir Fry on a bed of Brown Rice.
Serving Size: 12oz
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g (10% calories from fat)||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8%|
|Total Carbs 100g||33%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||56%|