Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
Recipe prepared by Chef Miriam Zamparelli
Nutrition Facts by Curtis Felton, RD
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
- 3/4 cup unsalted almonds, roasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried
- 2 cups kale, thinly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add quinoa to broth, reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
- Simmer for 13 minutes or until quinoa is tender and all the stock is absorbed.
- Stir in olive oil and fluff with a fork.
- Transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients up to the lemon zest.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with mint and serve.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 21g (34% of calories from fat)|
|Saturated Fat 2g (3.8% of calories from saturated fat)|
|Total Carbs 78g|
*Note: Majority of the fat in this recipe comes from heart healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
Health Benefits: Mint contains antioxidants and is thought to have a soothing effect.