Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
This is a deliciously warm recipe that is a great source of fiber and protein. The spinach, mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, whole-wheat pasta, and oregano in this recipe provide a total of
15 grams of dietary fiber per serving (60% of the daily recommendation). This recipe also provides a generous 18 grams of protein per serving coming from the mushrooms, milk, and whole-wheat pasta
Recipe Yields: 6 Servings
- 1/2 cup of mixed mushrooms, any kind
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 10 oz spinach, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
- Oregano to garnish
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- When olive oil is hot, add all mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté until tender, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomato paste and vegetable broth, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta to al dente.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Garnish with oregano.
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g (15% calories from fat)||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.2g (4.6% calories from saturated fat)||5%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monosaturated Fat 5g|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
|Vitamin A 0%|
|Vitamin E 10%|
|Vitamin C 15%|
|Vitamin B6 40%|