Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad
From the Registered Dietitians and Chefs of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Recipe Yields: 4 Servings
- 1/4 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese curd
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, whole
- 1 small fresh yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 4 large slices of whole grain bread
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
Mozzarella Roulade and Arugula Salad
- Preheat outdoor or stove-top grill.
- Season yellow squash slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill squash for 1 minute on each side over medium-high heat.
- Bring 1 quart water to a boil. Place mozzarella in a mixing bowl and pour boiling water over the curd, just covering it. With heat-proof rubber gloves, knead the curd together until one smooth mass is formed. Remove the mass from the water.
- Lay the mozzarella on a clean, flat surface and roll out with rolling pin until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Lay the grilled yellow squash slices, basil leaves and the tomato slices on the mozzarella sheet. Season it with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Carefully roll up the roulade and secure it by rolling it in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Toss arugula with 1 tsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove chilled mozzarella roulade from plastic wrap. Place the roulades on a cutting board and slice it to desired thickness. Arrange the roulades, arugula salad and whole grain bread on platter. Drizzle the balsamic syrup over platter (see balsamic syrup directions below).
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add 3 cups balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup honey.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until the liquid reduces by 3/4, about 20 minutes or until liquid reaches syrup-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 9g (19% calories from fat)|
|Saturated Fat 3.6g (7% calories from saturated fat)|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g|