How We Care for Neuromuscular Disorders
At the Neuromuscular Disorders Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, we provide treatment, education, counseling, and support for you and your child, from diagnosis through follow-up. Our services include:
- Diagnostic Consultations: We use the latest techniques and genetic technologies to diagnose your child's disorder or confirm a diagnosis made elsewhere.
- Genetic Counseling: Many neurological disorders are genetic in nature. Identifying a genetic mutation helps to confirm a diagnosis and may help us identify possible treatment options for your child. Our genetic counselors work with your family to help you cope with the various medical, psychological, and social implications of dealing with a new diagnosis that has lifelong effects.
- Seating and Mobility Clinic: We provide evaluations and prescriptions for durable medical equipment, including seating and positioning systems, bath equipment, standers, adapted strollers, and custom manual and power wheelchairs. Our experienced physical therapists identify your child's needs, demonstrate equipment, and let your child try out new equipment.
- Evaluation for Braces: We include orthotic evaluation as part of your child's physical therapy evaluation. If your child needs braces for optimal walking or sitting, our physical therapy team will work with on-site or off-site orthotists to provide the appropriate equipment. We can arrange on-site and in-clinic measurements and moldings during one of your child's regular clinical visits.
- Educational Materials: We empower you and your child with the education and counseling you need to fully understand the intricacies of life with a neuromuscular disorder. We provide you with counseling and educational; information on clinical trials; research updates; information about patient registries; and referrals to patient advocacy groups.