Advanced Lung Cancer Care
At NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital, we take a multidisciplinary approach to the care of people with lung cancer. You can receive early detection services, the latest treatments, access to clinical trials, and supportive care. Our Cancer and Screening Patient Navigators coordinate the various components of your care and serve as your point of contact for any questions you or your family may have.
A Lung Cancer Center of Excellence
Following a rigorous evaluation, the lung cancer program at NewYork-Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital was designated a community hospital Center of Excellence by the Go2 Lung Cancer Foundation — the first hospital in New York State to achieve this honor. Awarded to just a handful of community hospitals across the country, this distinction recognizes hospitals that:
- Implement the best practices to provide standard therapies for lung cancer, including minimally invasive biopsy, surgical, and radiation therapy techniques that reduce risk and improve patients' quality of life
- Take a multidisciplinary approach to lung cancer care, including a tumor board combining the input of multiple providers and nurse navigators who help coordinate care
- Have a screening program to find lung cancer in its earliest, most curable stages in people at high risk
- Perform molecular testing of tumors to match patients with the most effective treatments
- Provide access to clinical trials of innovative therapies and other novel approaches
- Educate and empower patients and caregivers
Types Of Lung Cancer We Treat
Our thoracic cancer team treats all types and stages of lung cancer, including:
- Non-small cell lung carcinomas (such as lung adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma)
- Small cell lung cancer
- Mediastinal and pleural tumors, including thymoma and pleural mesothelioma
Our Approach to Care
We assemble a team of lung cancer experts with experience treating your type and stage of lung cancer. Our team includes highly regarded thoracic surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, and oncology-trained nurses who work together to develop a comprehensive treatment plan for all of our patients. We also collaborate closely with nationally known clinicians and researchers at our academic partner, NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, if more complex services are needed at some point in your care.
We understand that lung cancer care goes beyond treatment. To support your quality of life, our nutritionists, social workers, rehabilitation therapists, pain management professionals, and others will help you and your loved ones address the effects of cancer and its treatment — physical, emotional, and spiritual. We understand the burden lung cancer can place on your life and the lives of your loved ones, and we do whatever we can to lessen that burden.
Why Choose Us
As part of a major academic medical center — the National Cancer Institute-designated Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center of Columbia University — we participate in clinical trials for all types of lung cancer. If needed, we can connect you with investigational therapies that show promise for fighting your cancer. Moreover, you can receive these and other advanced therapies and services close to your home.
If you have other health issues that need to be considered while planning your treatment, such as diabetes or heart disease, we have other specialists on staff who work closely with our lung cancer team, so you can continue to receive all of your care in one medical center.
After your treatment is completed, our Cancer Survivorship Clinical Program helps coordinate your follow-up care and communication with your other healthcare providers as you return to life after treatment. Contact us today to make an appointment with one of our lung cancer specialists.