- 4 eggplants, cut into medium dice
- 1/4 cup, olive oil, divided
- 1 red or white onion, sliced
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or one 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raisins (golden or regular)
- 1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (100 % dark)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Toss the eggplant with 2 Tbsp. oil and a little salt, and place onto a large non-stick baking tray. Roast for 20-30 minutes until charred and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large pan and cook the onion and celery with a large pinch of salt for 10 minutes or until softening and lightly caramelized.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and tomato paste and cook for a minute longer before adding the tomatoes.
- Add the raisins, capers, olives, cocoa powder, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Add in the roasted eggplant and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the eggplant is very soft.
- Add pine nuts at the end if using.
Optional: serve with whole wheat pasta, on a piece of toast, or enjoy as it!