NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital volunteers are warm and caring individuals who give back to their community. Volunteers offer their time, talent and dedication throughout the hospital in patient care and clerical settings providing an extra dimension of services to our patients and families. Volunteers are a vital part of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital with more than 3,300 volunteers each year currently serving across our six locations. Our volunteers come from unique backgrounds but are commonly interested in helping others. The attention they provide is invaluable to patients and families.
Volunteers are asked to give a minimum of two to four hour period a week for a minimum of 150 hours. There are a variety of volunteer roles to fit individual time schedules, abilities and interests. Volunteers may work directly with patients or choose an assignment behind-the-scenes in clerical positions throughout the hospital.
Attention Prospective Volunteers:
Effective January 2018, all applicants must be at least 16 years of age or older, 18 for many volunteer programs. Please check your campus' opportunities for specifications.
- Tea Cart
- Golden Spoon - volunteers assist with feeding patients
- Gift shop welcome desk
- Book cart
- Clerical emergency room volunteers
- Eucharistic ministers
- Therapy dog program
- Application: A fully completed application, including the reference form, may be submitted via mail, fax, email, or in-person drop off. After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by a member of the Volunteer Services team. You will be contacted post review regarding the status of your application. Please note: A valid Social Security number is needed in order for any application to be reviewed.
- Interview: If there is an opportunity you might be suitable for, you will be scheduled for an interview. Please note some programs do require a second interview with your designated supervisor.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation: A medical screening at the campus with the employee health nurse will be arranged. This evaluation is required by New York State Public Health Law to promote the safety and well-being of our patients and our staff. The visit includes a physical and a two-step PPD (Tuberculosis/TB) test.
- Background check/Security: All volunteer applicants 18 and over will need to complete a New York State background check. A national criminal and out-of-state search will also be conducted by the Volunteer Services department.
- Orientation: You will be scheduled for an orientation and quiz before starting your volunteer assignment. The orientation will cover hospital guidelines, regulations, policies & procedures as they pertain to your volunteer placement. You will also complete an orientation with the area to which you are assigned within 30 days from start.
- Commitment: We ask volunteers to commit to at least one consecutive four-hour period per week. Some opportunities may differ.
- Schedule: Assignment times will vary depending on the volunteer opportunity. If you cannot come in at your designated time you will need to alert the proper supervisor.
- Attendance/ Absence: Volunteers must communicate with the Volunteer Department for any need for an extended absence or if you will be ending your volunteer commitment.
- Timekeeping: You will be required to log all of your volunteer hours into our timekeeping system.
- Annual Compliance: Volunteers must maintain compliance with annual health reviews, evaluations, and education, as well as other items as necessary.