At NewYork-Presbyterian, our highly experienced urogynecologists, pelvic medicine, and reconstructive surgeons offer a full range of nonsurgical and surgical treatment options to address common health concerns.
What is Urogynecology?What is Urogynecology?
Urogynecology is the area of medicine that covers the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the bladder, reproductive system, and rectum, including pelvic floor disorders. Urogynecologists can be urologists or gynecologists trained in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.
Conditions We TreatConditions Treated
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our expert clinicians treat a range of urogynecology conditions that affect the organs and structures in the female pelvis, including:
- Urinary urgency
- Urinary incontinence: involuntary leakage of urine
- Fecal incontinence: involuntary bowel movement
- Overactive bladder
- Congenital abnormalities of the reproductive organs
- In pelvic organ prolapse, organs "drop" from their normal place in the body and move into (and sometimes protrude from) the vagina or rectum; examples include uterine prolapse and bladder prolapse
- Interstitial cystitis, a condition characterized by bladder pain
- Fistulas, which are abnormal connections that form between two organs or structures (for example, the bowel and the vagina)
When to See a SpecialistWhen to See a Specialist
Many urogynecology conditions respond well to treatment focused on providing pain relief and correcting the underlying problem. However, if left untreated, these conditions can lead to serious health concerns.
Signs and symptoms that a urogynecologist include should check:
- Involuntary urination/leaking urine when coughing, laughing, or exercising
- Involuntary bowel movement
- Recurring urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Trouble emptying the bladder
- Pain on urinating
- Persistent need to urinate
- Pelvic pain or feeling of fulness
- Pain during sexual activity
- Swelling of the vagina or the sensation that something is extending out of the vagina
Why Choose Us?Why Choose Us?
Urogynecologic disorders can have a significant impact on quality of life. When seeking treatment, look to NewYork-Presbyterian, where our urogynecologists deliver cutting-edge clinical care that includes the latest advances in the field. In addition, we strive to make healthcare as comfortable as possible for our patients. Feel free to request a urogynecologist of a certain gender for your comfort.
Experts in diagnosing and treating pelvic floor disorders
NewYork-Presbyterian urogynecologists have expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders in patients in every stage of life, from post-partum through menopause. After carefully assessing a patient's symptoms, life stage, and needs, our physicians devise a treatment plan that draws from a wide range of nonsurgical and surgical treatments to address a patient's unique needs.
Leaders in minimally invasive surgery techniques
Our urogynecologists are all fellowship-trained in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. They have expertise in the latest minimally invasive surgical approaches, such as laparoscopy and robotic-assisted surgery, as well as vaginal surgery, to treat the most complex and challenging pelvic floor conditions. Compared to open surgery, minimally invasive surgery results in faster recovery, less pain, less scarring, fewer complications, and shorter hospital stays.
Providing the latest therapies through collaboration and research
Columbia University and Weill Cornell Medicine clinician-investigators actively participate in urogynecology clinical research networks and are leaders in the professional national and international organizations that establish patient care guidelines, such as the Collaborative Research in Pelvic Surgery Consortium. Our patients benefit from treatments and therapies based on the latest advances in research in pelvic floor disorder. You may be eligible to participate in a clinical trial that examines new therapies for your condition.
Find Urogynecology Care Near You
NewYork-Presbyterian offers advanced urogynecologic care at our convenient locations throughout the New York metropolitan area.