Why Choose Us
Comprehensive & multidisciplinary care for the most fragile newborns
At NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, you and your baby benefit from the expertise of an academic medical center delivered in a family-centered setting. As New York’s no. 1 hospital, we are one of a handful of regional referral centers for high-risk pregnancies. Our compassionate physicians and hospital staff have the experience and resources to provide you and your newborn with exceptional care from delivery until the time you are ready to go home, giving you the guidance, support, and education you need to begin your new lives together.
Innovative approaches & lifesaving treatments
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children's Hospital are both New York State Department of Health-designated Regional Perinatal Centers, a distinction given to facilities committed to delivering the highest level of prenatal and newborn care to healthy and the sickest newborn infants.
NewYork-Presbyterian is nationally recognized for optimizing the health of newborns and minimizing risk in the tiniest, most fragile newborns with our innovative approaches and lifesaving treatments. We have one of the best infant survival rates among NICUs nationally, and the lowest rates of chronic lung disease in the U.S. We are recognized by the National Institutes of Health for excellence and expertise in the gentle ventilation of neonates, the standard of care in early, acute lung disease in extremely preterm infants. Our devotion to your newborn continues long after discharge, with comprehensive neonatal and nutritional follow-up programs to promote your newborn’s growth and development.
Services & Specialties
A full-spectrum of advanced care for mothers and newborns
- Postpartum mother and newborn care
- Well baby nursery — Healthy infants are cared for in the Well Baby Nurseries at NewYork-Presbyterian Alexandra Cohen Hospital for Women and Newborns and the Sloane Hospital for Women at NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital. Patient care is provided by attending pediatricians, pediatric residents, pediatric nurse practitioners, mother-baby nurses, and lactation consultants. Complete care of the term and near-term newborn from delivery through discharge, including guidance for the parent, is the focus of the nursery team.
- Care of infants with complex conditions — Our neonatologists have the expertise to care for premature infants, infants with chronic lung disease, cardiac anomalies, birth defects, and genetic disorders, employing the latest approaches and technologies that improve the outcomes of the sickest and most fragile infants.
- Neonatal intensive care unit
- Neonatal comfort care program
- Neonatal follow-up programs
- Patient education — NewYork-Presbyterian offers childbirth and breastfeeding classes for our obstetric patients. Courses cover topics such as prenatal care, what to expect during labor and delivery, information about breastfeeding, postpartum care, and how to care for your newborn.
Experts in newborn care
We are ranked #10 nationally in Neonatology by U.S. News and World Report. Our mission is to provide the highest quality care for mothers and their newborns. Our team of expert neonatologists collaborates with medical subspecialists from a wide range of disciplines to provide the absolute best healthcare plan for your newborn and improve the outcomes of even the most vulnerable and tiniest infant patients.
Our Approach to Care
Exceptional care from birth to early childhood
Our neonatal physicians, specialty physicians, nurses, and nurse practitioners have exceptional qualifications and training in the care of pregnant women and newborns. Because many different caregivers are involved in each patient’s care, they must share information among themselves and with parents to work efficiently as a team. During bedside rounds, the nursery team will discuss your newborn’s status, perform your newborn’s physical exam, listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and provide guidance. Every step of the way, you are integrally involved in the decision-making process related to your newborn’s care.
Our family-centered care approach encourages keeping your baby with you at your bedside in your single room. This allows you to bond with your child, get to know your child’s behaviors, and help meet his or her feeding needs, whether you have chosen bottle-feeding or breastfeeding. However, if you feel the need to rest or are not feeling well, your baby can be cared for in our Newborn Nursery.
Leaders in the field
As the best hospital in New York for Neonatology, our physicians have pioneered many of the techniques widely used in perinatal and neonatal medicine today. They are conducting research to advance the field further, benefiting mothers and their newborns everywhere.
Continuity of care
Our devotion to your child’s health and wellbeing does not end when you go home. The neurodevelopmental and nutritional progress of infants at risk during their first three years of life is evaluated by neonatologists, physical and occupational therapists, and nutritionists as part of our Neonatal Follow-Up Program. High-risk infants are evaluated for six years. Specialized neonatal nutrition program services for infants and toddlers are provided during hospitalization in the NICU and continue through the program.
Awards & Recognition
Recognized for high standards of carere
Best program in New York for Neonatology according to US News and World Report