Our doctors are currently seeing patients through in-person and video visits.
When you call to schedule an appointment with our doctors, please let the team know if you want an in-person or video visit. If you request a video visit, our team will walk you through the simple process of arranging one. Call your preferred campus today to schedule an in-person or video visit* appointment.
* This service is open to new and existing patients.
A World Leader in Interventional Cardiology
Cardiac catheterization is a minimally invasive, specialized procedure in which a long, flexible tube (catheter) is inserted through a tiny skin entry site (about the size of a thin ballpoint pen) in the top of the leg into a vein and artery. The interventional cardiologist gently advances the catheter through these blood vessels to the heart, allowing a close look at the structures inside.
Your child may be referred for cardiac catheterization to diagnosis or treat a heart condition. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is known for our success performing some of the most technically demanding and innovative heart catheterization procedures, including those used to treat congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, and arrhythmias. This nonsurgical treatment enables many children to avoid open-heart surgery.
- Nationally Ranked: U.S.News & World Report has ranked our pediatric hospitals among the top pediatric cardiology and heart surgery programs in the country, reflecting our reputation and excellent surgical outcomes, the expertise of our surgical teams, our high volume of cases, and other data related to patient care.
- An Expert Team: Your child is in highly trained, experienced, and compassionate hands. Our interventional cardiologists are specially trained in pediatric interventional procedures, which they perform in patients of all ages — from newborns to adults — who were born with congenital heart disease. They perform more than 1,200 cardiac catheterizations each year, making our program the largest pediatric/congenital cardiac catheterization and interventional program in the Tri-State area and one of the busiest on the country.
- A Pioneering Spirit: Many of the pediatric interventional procedures that have become the standard of care worldwide have been developed by interventional cardiologists at NewYork-Presbyterian. Our team also participates in research projects and multicenter clinical trials to remain at the forefront of innovations and the development of less invasive catheter-based therapies for people with congenital heart disease.
- Nonsurgical Treatment for Heart Disorders: We use cardiac catheterization in children to directly observe heart structure and function; measure blood pressure and oxygen levels at specific locations within the heart; treat arrhythmias; close holes in the heart; expand narrowed passages; open blocked heart valves or replace certain valves; and biopsy heart muscle. Children who are preparing for or who have had a heart or lung transplant may also undergo cardiac catheterization to examine the heart.
- A National Leader in Hybrid Heart Surgery: The Congenital Heart Center at NewYork-Presbyterian is one of just a few U.S. centers to offer hybrid heart surgery to infants and children. Hybrid heart procedures combine conventional surgical methods with cardiac catheterization. These less invasive alternatives use a smaller incision through the breast bone or right chest, with the advantage of less pain, no need for a heart-lung machine, a faster return to normal activities, and a better cosmetic outcome.
- A Family-Friendly Setting: We care for you promptly, thoroughly, and with the thoughtfulness and compassion that you and your child deserve. As a parent or caregiver, we consider you to be part of your child's team. We encourage you to ask any questions you may have and let us know how we can support you and your family during this experience.