Why Choose Us
If you’re experiencing hip or knee pain, you can regain mobility and quality of life from top orthopedic surgeons at NewYork-Presbyterian. Here, patients receive comprehensive care that begins with a thorough evaluation and a detailed diagnosis.
Treatment generally consists of conservative, nonsurgical methods using state-of-the-art interventions. We offer minimally invasive hip and knee joint replacement procedures to restore function and eliminate pain when appropriate. We help individuals of all ages with all types of hip and knee disorders reduce pain and return to optimal function and mobility.
Some patients may have failing hip or knee replacements that need to be fixed or upgraded. Our surgeons are highly skilled in revision and complex joint replacement problems, treating people from all over the region and the world.
Hip and Knee Conditions We Treat
Among the conditions we treat are:
- Inflammatory arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis
- Osteonecrosis (AVN, avascular necrosis) of the hip and knee
- Hip dysplasia
- Traumatic injuries and fractures
- Developmental hip disorders such as congenital dislocation and Perthes disease.
- Limb deformity
- Cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular conditions
- Complex revision joint replacements, including:
- Loose implants
- Infected implants
- Dislocating or unstable implants
Treatments We Offer
If hip or knee pain is getting in the way of your active lifestyle, NewYork-Presbyterian's team of orthopedic surgeons is here to help. The procedures we offer include:
- Hip replacement - During hip replacement, the surgeon removes the damaged head of your thigh bone and replaces it with a metal stem with a new ball locked on at the top. The hip replacement fits into the new socket and replicates the action of a natural hip joint. We also perform "revision" joint replacements to replace a prior implant that has worn down over time.
- Knee replacement - We offer both total knee replacement (resurfacing) and partial knee replacement, a less invasive option where only part of the knee that is damaged is removed and resurfaced with an implant
Our Hip and Knee Care Programs
Our hip and knee programs are recognized for:
- Surgical and nonsurgical approaches to managing hip and knee joint pain
- High-volume and deep experience
- Outstanding patient outcomes and high patient satisfaction
- Innovative surgical techniques—including ligament sparing knee replacements, anterior hip replacements, robot-assisted surgery, and joint-sparing hip preservation surgeries—that dramatically improve recovery by allowing hip and knee joint reconstruction to be performed less invasively
- New modalities to control pain and minimize discomfort following surgery
- A significant emphasis on quality and patient safety, with practices that result in low infection and complication rates.
- Research that fosters improvements in surgical techniques and technologies that continue to benefit patients during surgery and recovery
Our orthopedic hip and knee surgeons work alongside other medical professionals to design treatment programs that address each patient's unique hip and knee needs. Our team includes:
- Imaging specialists - With expertise in musculoskeletal anatomy and a full range of radiology modalities, these specialists help with diagnosis and guide the treatment plan
- Anesthesiologists - These professionals create individualized pain management approaches to ease patient recovery
- Physical therapists - This group focuses on maximizing our patients' return to function throughout the care process. They play a crucial role in helping to delay or prevent surgery with exercise protocols that strengthen muscles and tendons around the affected joint. This quickens a patient's recovery time and helps develop personalized rehabilitation programs to enable patients to regain their active lifestyles.
Personalized Hip and Knee Care
We know that all patients who come to us for care have a unique physical and medical history. With that in mind, every step of our care is guided by their particular lifestyle, treatment expectations, and personal goals for recovery.
- Advanced imaging - Our facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art MRI and CT scans, and low-radiation EOS imaging, an advanced system for the precise imaging of musculoskeletal anatomy that is used to guide diagnosis, rehabilitation, and surgical planning. These advanced imaging modalities allow our surgeons to pinpoint the anatomical reason for each patient's condition to customize treatment options.
- Customized implants - CT scans are used to create custom implants for a more natural feeling joint replacement
- Minimally invasive with maximum results - Our surgeons use the most advanced image-guided approaches during procedures that result in lower rates of infection and faster recoveries for patients undergoing hip and knee procedures
- Robotics - Our orthopedic surgeons perform robotic-assisted procedures to increase accuracy and precision when implanting the joint prosthesis to improve functional outcomes
- Anterior hip replacement surgery - Our surgeons have particular expertise in anterior-based approaches for hip replacement surgery. This minimally invasive method is significantly less disruptive to the surrounding muscles and soft tissues, resulting in less postoperative pain and faster recovery.
- Ambulatory hip and knee replacement surgery - As a result of our advanced techniques, protocols that minimize complications, and pain management regimens for hip and knee replacements, we send most patients home the same day, a few hours after surgery.
Throughout their care, patients also benefit from all the medical specialists and resources of an Ivy League academic medical center. This comprehensive approach allows patients to have a larger scope of care, particularly those whose medical background and/or hip or knee disorders are more complex.
Featured Hip & Knee
Featured Hip & Knee
Find Hip and Knee Specialists at NewYork-Presbyterian
NewYork-Presbyterian orthopedic surgeons are trained in the most cutting-edge, minimally invasive surgical approaches. Whatever your issue, we can help you get back into your game and restore your quality of life. Contact us to see one of our specialists today.