Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
Acorn squash are dark green with deep ridges and have a golden yellow flesh. They are high in fiber, Vitamin A, potassium and Vitamin C. Although acorn squash are considered a winter squash they are actually harvested during the autumn months in the Northeast region. Try this recipe in the fall-not only will you be supporting local farmers and reducing transportation costs, your food will be fresher and will taste better!
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 wrap with 1 cup side salad
Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap
- 4 whole wheat wraps
- 1 1/3 cups diced grilled chicken
- 4 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup red seedless grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced apple
Acorn Squash Salad
- 4 cups cubed, cooked acorn squash (about 2 whole squash)
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp ginger (fresh minced or ground)
- 4 tbsp minced parsley (fresh or freeze dried)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken and mayonnaise, stir in grapes, celery and apples.
- Spread 2 scoops onto whole wheat wrap and fold.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Place halved, cleaned squash on a baking sheet face down and roast until the squash is tender when pierced, 30 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the orange juice, maple syrup, olive oil, and ginger in a glass jar. Seal tightly and shake vigorously to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and set aside, allowing dressing to stay at room temperature.
- When cool, cut peeled squash into small cubes and transfer to a bowl, mixing with raisins. Next, add the dressing, tossing gently to combine.
- Let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes so that the squash can absorb the dressing, or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, re-toss and sprinkle with the parsley and walnuts.
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 560||Calories from Fat 170|
|Total Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||17%|
|Sodium 560 mg||23%|
|Total Carbs 72 g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 7 g||28 %|
|Sugars 18 g|
|Protein 26 g|