Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
Eating a more plant-based diet is ecologically friendly and heart healthy. A "green" or planet friendly diet is comprised mostly of vegetables, whole grains, beans, fruits, nuts and seeds. These foods are packed with essential nutrients that help prevent chronic diseases, like heart disease. A diet high in vegetables, grains and beans is also more sustainable because these foods are lower on the food chain and require less processing.
Recipes Yield: 5 Burritos
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 15.5 oz canned black beans, rinsed
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets (optional*)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional*)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then put tortillas on baking sheet and warm in oven for about 2 minutes.
- Place oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Pour beans and cooked brown rice into skillet, cook 5 minutes while stirring. Add herbs and spices and mix well.
- Spoon bean mixture evenly down center of the warm tortillas. Place 1 slice of romaine lettuce and some chopped tomatoes on top of mixture. Roll tortillas up and slice in half.
Note: To boost your intake of veggies, try adding 1 cup broccoli and 1 cup mushroom. Cook these veggies with the peppers and onions.
Serving Size: 1 Burrito
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 320||Calories from Fat 80|
|Total Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 540 mg||23%|
|Total Carbs 52 g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 10 g|