Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
Avocados are loaded with polyunsaturated oils (omega-3 fatty acids), monounsaturated oils and fiber, which is a perfect combination to keep our hearts beating strong! Unsaturated oils, like those found in avocados, can help to improve our heart as well as our hair, skin, nails and brain function. On top of that, avocados and 100% whole grain pita bread have fiber, which can work in our bodies naturally to lower our cholesterol and keep us full longer.
Recipe Yield: 1 Serving
Serving Size: 1 sandwich (2 halves)
- 1 whole grain pita pocket
- 1/4 avocado (2 oz), sliced
- 1 oz low fat, reduced sodium Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Slice the whole grain pita in half, cutting through the middle, and leaving two half-circle pita pockets.
- Next, spread small amount of mustard on the inside of one half of the pita, and stuff with half of the remaining ingredients.
- Repeat for the other side of the pita. Serve.
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 360||Calories from Fat 100|
|Total Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 10 mg||3%|
|Sodium 780 mg||33%|
|Total Carbs 53 g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 17 g|