Facts About NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship
Application and Selection Dates for Dietetic Internship Scholarship
Scholarship applications must be complete and submitted to DICAS by January 1, 2022, 11:59pm (EST). Applicants are notified of the outcome of scholarship selection by February 1, 2022. Notification status will be sent to all applicants by email to the address designated by the applicant. Those who are recipients for the NYPH Dietetic Internship Scholarship are also preselected to be a Dietetic Intern with the NYPH Dietetic Internship Program and will receive the scholarship upon matriculation into the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program. For more information about our scholarship, please visit the Scholarship Page.
Application, Notification and Appointment Dates for Dietetic Internship Program
On-line DICAS applications for the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must be completed by 11:59pm Central Time on February 15, 2023.
The $125.00 application fee for the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must be paid by 11:59pm Central Time on February 15, 2023. Only web-based credit card payments will be accepted. Refer to Dietetic Internship Application Policies and Procedures for payment instructions.
Applicants must register for the on-line computer matching on the D&D Digital website at www.dnddigital.com, pay the $55.00 computer match fee by credit card, and enter their contact information and dietetic internship preferences.
Computer match preferences must be made by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15, 2023.
Applicant matching results will be posted on www.dnddigital.com from 6:00 pm Central Time on Sunday, April 2, 2023 through Monday, April 3, 2023. This is the ONLY source of notification for applicants.
Applicants who receive a match with the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must contact Catherine Zymaris, MS, RD, CDN, CNSC, Dietetic Internship Program Administrator, to confirm their acceptance of the match before 6:00pm (Eastern Time Zone) on Appointment Day. After this time, the Dietetic Internship Program is under no obligation to hold the opening for the matched applicant.
The Appointment Day for 2023 is Monday, April 3, 2023.
Email: [email protected]
Dietetic Intern Appointments and Class Entrance Dates
A maximum of thirty-two dietetic interns may be appointed to the 50-week program each year. These appointments are distributed between two classes, one beginning in September and the other in March. The entrance dates for the 2023 – 2024 class are September 11, 2023 and March 6, 2024.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190, Chicago, IL, 60606-6995, (800) 877-1600, ext. 5400. https://www.eatrightpro.org/acend.
The academic requirements to be a NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital dietetic intern in preparation to become a Registered Dietitian, requires a minimum of a Baccalaureate Degree** from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university or foreign equivalent is required. Note: Applicants with degrees from outside the U.S. must provide written verification that their degree is equivalent to a degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. A copy of the degree equivalency statement must be uploaded in the supplemental section of the on-line application. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital requires completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics. (For additional information on how to become a Registered Dietitian, please visit, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website).
**Please note that effective January 1, 2024, the eligibility requirement to sit for the credentialing examination for Registered Dietitians will be a graduate degree. Please visit the Commission on Dietetic Registration site for more details: https://www.cdrnet.org/graduatedegree.
As such, all dietetic interns (including scholarship recipients) who are beginning the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program on or after September 1, 2023 must have a conferred graduate degree or be currently enrolled within a graduate program that will confer a graduate degree prior to or at the end of the dietetic internship program. Submission of an official transcript conferring a graduate-level degree from a U.S.-accredited college or university or letter from the registrar confirming enrollment within a graduate degree program will be required prior to beginning the internship program.
To successfully complete the Dietetic Internship Program and to receive a DI verification statement, the dietetic intern must submit an official transcript conferring a graduate degree to the Program.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program will not review the application of a student whose Verification Statement from an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics is greater than five years old unless the student has taken in the past three years or is currently enrolled in a medical nutrition therapy, nutrition and metabolism or nutrition assessment course from an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (either graduate or undergraduate level will be acceptable).
Results from the Graduate Record Examination are not required.
Graduates from colleges and universities throughout the nation are selected for the internship program. To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must be an American citizen, U.S. permanent resident, a U.S. temporary resident under 8 USC 1160 or 1255a(a)(1), an Asylee under 8 USC 1157 or a Refugee under 8 USC 1158. The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Application Evaluation Committee bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- Academic performance (GPA in Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) courses). Due to the competitive nature of the application selection process, prospective applicants with a DPD GPA of less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale are not encouraged to apply.
- Related experience (nutrition care and/or food service in a hospital, long-term care facility, community agency or business setting,) paid or volunteer, for a minimum of three-month duration.
- Academic and work recommendations.
- Personal statement.
- Completeness and presentation of the online application.
- Interview (Conducted for the highest-ranking applications based on the selection criteria noted above). Applicant interviews will be evaluated based on: Communication, Teamwork/Collaboration, Accountability, Flexibility, Judgment/Decision Making Skills, Customer Service Skills.
Final acceptance into the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program is contingent on:
- Submission of an official college transcript documenting completion of a minimum of a graduate degree (or a baccalaureate degree with a letter from the registrar confirming enrollment within a graduate degree program) from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university and the date of conferral.
- Submission of an original degree equivalency statement from one of the approved agencies listed on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (website) confirming that the degree is equivalent to at least a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Required for students completing their education outside of the United States.
- Submission of an original DPD Verification Statement, signed and dated by the DPD director.
- Satisfactory completion of a physical examination performed before the class entrance date (forms will be sent with appointee enrollment information).
- Satisfactory completion of any health examinations, tests, which include drug testing, or inoculations as required by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (performed upon arrival for the Dietetic Internship Program at no cost to the dietetic internship appointee).
- Proof of medical and hospitalization insurance under an individual or group policy (health insurance is not provided by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital).
- Satisfactory completion of a background check performed before the class entrance date (pertinent information and forms will be sent with appointee enrollment information).
Professional Liability Insurance
Dietetic interns enrolled in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program are provided with professional liability insurance coverage for malpractice related to their clinical learning experiences within the Hospital and affiliated agencies. There is no cost to the dietetic intern for this coverage.
Dietetic interns may purchase meals in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center Garden Café, the Columbia University Medical Center Heights Café, the Allen Hospital Café or the Westchester Division Café. On scheduled workdays, a meal allowance of $8.50 is provided at these sites. At the Lower Manhattan Hospital site, lunch is provided at no charge to the dietetic intern.
Living quarters located at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center are available at a fee starting at $800.00 per month per person.
The following is a list of expenses to be incurred by the dietetic intern for the 2023 – 2024 Class Year:
|Application Fee to NYP Hospital Dietetic Internship (nonrefundable)||125.00|
|Enrollment Fee (includes $100.00 Background Check fee; payable at the time of acceptance; nonrefundable)||3,300.00|
|Tuition (payable not later than one week prior to entrance into the program; nonrefundable)||9,565.00|
|Pre-placement Physical Examination (performed prior to entrance into the program)
Medical and Hospitalization Insurance Coverage (for the duration of the program period)
|Varies according to individual/ group policy|
Applicable rent costs
|Transportation (to clinical assignments, community agencies, field trips and meetings; exclusive of daily commuters) *||1,000.00|
|Books and Supplies *||800.00|
|Two Lab Coats (required)||50.00|
|Two Set of Plain Black Scrubs (optional)||60.00|
|Greater New York Dietetic Association Dues (optional)||30.00|
|Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Student Membership Dues (required)||60.00|
|Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Active Membership Processing Fee and First Year’s Dues (following program completion, optional)||70.00|
|Registration Examination Application Fee (following program completion)||200.00|
**All of the above expenses are subject to change.
Financial assistance is available through NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Included in this packet are the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Scholarship criteria, application and instructions for scholarship application completion. Note: Completed scholarship applications must be submitted by January 1, 2023. Additionally, scholarships for students enrolled in accredited dietetic internships are available through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Information is available on their website here.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program does not participate in any federal student loan programs. However, students enrolled in the Dietetic Internship Program can apply for deferment of their college loans.