Advanced Treatment And Support
If you or a loved one has a neuromuscular disorder, we understand that you may have weakness, numbness, pain, and sometimes more severe symptoms such as difficulty walking, talking, eating, or breathing, all of which can seriously affect how you feel and function each day. NewYork-Presbyterian's specialists are exceptionally skilled at diagnosing and treating people with a range of neuromuscular disorders, including:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, also called Lou Gehrig Disease)
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Inflammatory myopathy (such as dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion body myositis)
- Mitochondrial disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
When you come to us for your care, you'll benefit from:
- A Team Assembled to Provide You with Comprehensive Care: Your multidisciplinary team includes doctors, nurses, and rehabilitation specialists who customize your treatment and rehabilitation to relieve your symptoms and help you to live more comfortably with your disease.
- An Accurate Diagnosis: It may be challenging to diagnose neuromuscular disorders because their symptoms resemble those of other diseases. So it's important to do a full work-up to determine the cause of your symptoms. We use a variety of tests to make an accurate diagnosis, including physical and neurological examinations, spinal tap, and electrodiagnostic tests (such as electromyography) to evaluate your muscle and nerve function, and sometimes a biopsy of skin, nerve, or muscle.
- Specialized Support for You and Your Family: We understand that neuromuscular disorders pose challenges for you and your loved ones. So we offer psychosocial support to help you adapt to living with your disorder.
- Connections with Other Specialists: Since you may have other health problems, our neurologists and neurosurgeons work closely with NewYork-Presbyterian clinicians in other specialties to coordinate the care you need for your specific medical needs. This is the advantage of being treated at a major medical center that is known around the world for providing extraordinary care in every field of medicine.
- Leaders in Research: Our researchers are working in the clinic and in the laboratory to learn more about what causes neuromuscular disorders, and applying this information to develop better treatments. Our research programs are among the most robust in the world. You may have the opportunity to participate in a clinical trial of innovative therapy.