Weill Cornell Spine Trauma Center
Comprehensive Spine Care at a Designated Level 1 Trauma Center
Spine trauma doesn’t happen on the clock – it can happen anytime, anywhere. Our experts are ready to respond when the phone rings or the ambulance arrives, 24/7.
When someone experiences a spine injury, that’s what is needed to achieve the best chance of survival, recovery, and a good quality of life. The Spine Trauma Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center is a physician-run service dedicated to spine trauma and related injuries.
Our emergency, trauma, and spine surgery specialists are available 24/7 to respond to and treat every type of spine trauma, including the most complex multisystem injuries. The integrated team quickly stabilizes patients to avoid further damage and operates with minimally invasive surgery whenever possible.
Why Choose Us?
National Designation and Recognition. We are designated as a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Meeting the high standards of care set forth by the ACS proves that we are prepared to care for the most severely injured and most vulnerable patients at all times. In addition, our rehabilitation program — a critical component of care for spine trauma patients — is cited by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best in the country.
A Wide Range of Expertise. The trauma team treats all types of spine injuries, including cervical vertebral fractures, ventilator-dependent cervical injuries, thoracolumbar spine fractures, spinal cord injuries, and multisystem injuries resulting from vehicle accidents, falls, blunt trauma, work-related accidents, diving accidents, and violent incidents.
A Commitment to Recovery. Physiatrists and physical therapists begin working with spine trauma patients as soon as is feasible, within days of stabilization whenever possible. Comprehensive back and neck rehabilitation programs help each patient return to the highest level of function and independence, while improving his or her overall quality of life.
Spine Trauma Treatment
Our world-renowned neurosurgery team includes five fellowship-trained spine surgeons with trauma training.
- Our specialists use surgery to repair fractured vertebrae, release pressure, and treat other injuries in the body.
- Our surgeons use minimally invasive approaches whenever possible, resulting in smaller incisions, less postoperative discomfort, and a quicker recovery.
- Guided by real-time CT neuro-navigation, they operate with exceptional precision — using the most advanced spinal instrumentation and stereotactic microsurgical techniques as indicated.
- Our operating rooms are staffed and running around the clock, so patients can receive the care they need when they need it.
- Spine trauma patients may recover in our Neuro-ICU or Surgical ICU, staffed 24/7 by specialized healthcare providers.
Caring for the Whole Patient
A Multispecialty Team
Our spine trauma team includes experts in trauma, neurosurgery, critical care medicine, orthopedics, and rehabilitation medicine, working together to stabilize patients and setting a course for optimal treatment and recovery. Should a patient’s injury be accompanied by trauma to other organ systems, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell has other specialists available, too, to manage each patient’s needs — such as urologists, general surgeons, plastic surgeons, head and neck surgeons, and ophthalmologists.
- Our rehabilitation medicine team offers patients exercise programs to improve strength, flexibility, and endurance; assistive devices to promote independence; and retraining to improve mobility.
- The rehabilitation team also facilitates the transfer of spine trauma patients in need of long-term rehabilitation to those facilities for continued care.
Pain management, cognitive rehabilitation, dietary evaluation and nutritional counseling, and yoga and other mindfulness therapies are available.
The No. 1 Hospital in New York
NewYork-Presbyterian is one of the nation’s most comprehensive, integrated academic healthcare delivery systems, dedicated to providing the highest quality, most compassionate care, and service to patients from the New York metropolitan area, across the country, and around the globe. In collaboration with Weill Cornell Medicine, NewYork-Presbyterian is consistently recognized as a leader in medical education, groundbreaking research, and innovative patient care. U.S. News & World Report ranks NewYork-Presbyterian as #1 hospital in New York and among the top ten hospitals in the country.
Transfer a Patient
We accept stabilized spine trauma patients who are referred to us from other hospitals. Physicians who wish to transfer a patient to NewYork-Presbyterian can call us 24/7 to arrange for a transfer.