Maximizing Performance, Minimizing Injury
It's not unusual for many children and teens to spend their after-school hours, weekends, and summers hopping from one sports practice or game to the next, often with little room to rest in between. Sports injuries in developing athletes require prompt attention and proper treatment by an experienced team to ensure that the young athlete returns to play at the right time, while reducing the risk of future injuries and ailments. The specialists at the Sports Medicine Center for the Developing Athlete at NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital meet the full range of young athletes' needs, and in a variety of convenient locations.
- A Team of Experts: Our patients receive care from a multidisciplinary team of specialists that include orthopaedic surgeons and physiatrists, physical and occupational therapists, nurses, and others dedicated to the care of young people with sports-related injuries. Moreover, our staff members work closely with pediatricians and your child's other healthcare providers to ensure continuity of care and a smooth transition to routine activities during recovery.
- Care in a World-Renowned Children's Hospital: Our team of doctors offers prevention, treatment, and performance-enhancing services for growing athletes, all under the umbrella of one world-renowned institution. This center builds on the disciplines of New York's top-rated pediatric hospital, featuring experts from all medical and surgical subspecialties.
- Comprehensive Care for All Sports Injuries: From head to toe, we treat every type of sport injury and disorder, including anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears, concussions, iliotibial band friction syndrome, Little League elbow and other throwing injuries, the female athlete triad, Osgood Schlatter's disease, runner's knee, Sever's disease, shin splints, snapping hip syndrome, and stress fractures. We make a prompt and accurate diagnosis, create a personalized regimen of care for your child, and monitor your child's recovery to make sure he or she returns to sports at the right time.
- The Road to Recovery: At our outpatient physical therapy center at ColumbiaDoctors Midtown (51 West 51st Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues), we offer comprehensive physical therapy for athletes of all ages. We combine innovative hands-on physical therapy approaches with the latest technology to help your athlete recover safely and effectively. Our facility also features a full gym with equipment to increase strength, flexibility, balance, and range of motion.
- A Commitment to Enhancing Performance: In addition to treating sports injuries, we educate coaches, trainers, parents, and athletes about ways to minimize the risk of injuries. Beyond treating their injuries, our Certified Athletic Trainers maintain and improve the performance of young athletes.
- Special Programs for Female Athletes: We offer evaluation and treatment of undernourished female athletes. Our physicians, nurses, nutritionists, and psychologists assess your daughter's eating habits, menstrual cycles, and body image; conduct bone density testing if there is a history of stress fractures; provide nutritional guidance to establish a plan for healthy eating; and offer psychological support if your daughter is struggling with stress in her life. Our patients who have anorexia, bulimia, or other serious eating disorders have access to the Center for Eating Disorders of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
- Let Us Come Speak in Your Community: Specialists from the Sports Medicine Center for the Developing Athlete are available to come to your community to speak about sports medicine topics pertinent to young athletes, such as weight training and strength conditioning, concussions, special considerations for female athletes, and how to prevent sports-related injuries. Our message is to make sure that children and teens are having fun when they are playing sports and taking steps to reduce their risk of injury.
- Convenient Locations: We know how busy you and your athlete are. That's why we offer our services at a variety of locations in upper Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, northern New Jersey (Englewood), and Westchester County (Tarrytown).
To make an appointment, please call 212-305-4565.
Uptown:NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Midtown Manhattan:Columbiadoctors Eastside
Northern New Jersey:Englewood
To make an appointment, please call (212) 305-4565.