Our doctors are currently seeing patients through in-person and video visits.
When you call to schedule an appointment with our doctors, please let the team know if you want an in-person or video visit. If you request a video visit, our team will walk you through the simple process of arranging one. Call your preferred campus today to schedule an in-person or video visit* appointment.
* This service is open to new and existing patients.
Diseases and disorders of the digestive system range from prevalent disorders like heartburn to rare diseases such as biliary cancer. Some can cause mild but annoying discomfort, disrupting quality of life, while others can be life-threatening. At NewYork-Presbyterian, our digestive care teams are highly experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of every type of digestive disorder. People come to us from across the country and around the world for the high-quality, comprehensive care we provide. We offer procedures, services, and facilities that can be challenging to find elsewhere, treatments based on the latest medical advances, and opportunities to participate in clinical trials of promising new therapies. All of the care you need is available in one medical center from a team of world-renowned experts.
Every Specialist You Need
Our teams of digestive care experts include gastroenterologists, surgeons, interventional endoscopists, medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, registered dietitians, social workers, and others with the compassion and skills to care for people with all types of digestive disorders. As a major academic medical center, we can also link you with any other doctors you need for other health issues. This coordinated care is a hallmark of NewYork-Presbyterian.
Comprehensive Care for All Digestive Disorders
No matter what your digestive symptoms are or your diagnosis, we can tailor a customized plan of care that meets your needs. We provide the full range of diagnostic testing and state-of-the-art treatment for:
- Anorectal disorders, such as fistulas, fissures, hemorrhoids, and fecal incontinence
- Celiac disease, with specialized centers
- Colorectal diseases, including diverticulitis, infections and colon polyps
- Digestive cancers, including anorectal, colorectal, esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, biliary, and liver cancers of all types and stages
- Esophageal problems, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), swallowing issues such as achalasia, eosinophilic esophagitis, and Barrett’s esophagus
- Functional disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, gastroparesis, motility problems, and functional dyspepsia
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Liver diseases, featuring world-renowned expertise in hepatitis as well as care for people with cirrhosis, fatty liver disease, gallstones and other gallbladder diseases, cholangitis, portal hypertension and those in need of liver transplantation
- Obesity, offering the latest endoscopic and surgical weight loss techniques
- Pancreatic diseases, such as cysts and acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Stomach disorders, such as peptic ulcers and bleeding
Advanced Diagnostic Testing
The most effective care begins with an accurate diagnosis. Because digestive symptoms (such as nausea, stomach pain, and indigestion) may be associated with different diseases, it’s important to evaluate them carefully to determine their cause. NewYork-Presbyterian offers every type of diagnostic testing available to assess digestive problems, including advanced interventional endoscopy techniques that allow our doctors to see inside the digestive tract and perform treatment procedures at the same time. No matter what test you need, we can provide it.
A Commitment to Minimally Invasive Surgery
Robotic and other minimally invasive surgeries are associated with smaller incisions, less pain after the operation, a shorter hospital stay, and a quicker return to your normal activities. If you need surgery, we use these techniques whenever appropriate. If you require a more extensive operation, our surgeons have the experience to perform those as well and do them more frequently than surgeons at lower volume hospitals. Such experience and high volumes translate to better outcomes for our patients.
Attention to All Aspects of Cancer Care
If you have a digestive cancer, your treatment may entail a combination of therapies and a lengthy treatment journey. We understand the burden that cancer places on you and your family, and we offer services, resources, and support every step of the way. From comfortable infusion centers for chemotherapy and immunotherapy to state-of-the art radiation treatment centers and psychosocial and nutritional support, your comfort, quality of life, and peace of mind are important to us.
Advancing Care through Clinical Trials
One aspect of our care that sets us apart from many other hospitals is the large portfolio of clinical trials we offer. These studies are essential for making progress against cancer and other digestive diseases. As a patient at NewYork-Presbyterian, you may have the opportunity to receive an innovative therapy. Your care team will let you know if you are eligible to participate in a clinical trial.