Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in men. The disease is often slow-growing and, in many cases, can be treated effectively. However, early detection is vital—some forms of the disease are more aggressive, advance more rapidly, and are associated with serious health consequences. At NewYork-Presbyterian, our world-class specialists are skilled in detecting prostate cancer in its earliest stages and initiating leading-edge treatment where needed.
Why Choose Us
NewYork-Presbyterian's expert urologic oncology teams provide customized care at multiple locations throughout New York City, Westchester, and the Hudson Valley. At any NewYork-Presbyterian location, men with prostate cancer can receive research-based care from leaders in the field who work closely with patients to achieve the best possible outcomes.
Our prostate care teams include multiple specialists who work closely together throughout a patient's diagnosis and treatment. Depending on the diagnosis stage and the treatment plan, patients may encounter any or all of these team members:
- Urologic surgeons - Both urologic oncologists and urinary/erectile specialists may be involved. These clinical experts focus on preserving normal urinary and sexual function.
- Medical oncologists - Specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. These specialists work closely with other clinicians involved in the various stages of care.
- Radiation oncologists - Specialize in the treatment of cancer with radiation
- Pathologists - Help to determine the presence of cancer and provide information used in staging the disease
- Diagnostic radiologists - Responsible for obtaining images that offer essential information about the nature of the tumor and the patient's response to treatment
- Interventional radiologists - Responsible for administering precise and targeted doses of radiation to help shrink tumors
- Fertility preservation experts - Focus on maintaining fertility in men who wish to father children
- Oncology and internal medicine nurses - Essential professionals who assist with patient needs in multiple settings ranging from the surgical suite to the bedside
- Oncology social workers - Equipped to help patients with issues associated with emotional issues and practical needs associated with illness and hospitalization, if any
- Registered dietitians - Attuned to the needs of individuals with cancer, with an emphasis on maintaining a healthy weight and incorporating nutrients into the diet that support healing
- Integrative health practitioners - Offer complementary therapies that promote relaxation, reduce stress and anxiety, and relieve symptoms associated with a disease or its treatment
- Support providers - Such as home health aides
Our Approach to Care
At NewYork-Presbyterian, our cancer care experts can determine whether you need diagnostic testing, monitoring alone (also called active surveillance), or treatment. Patients with more advanced disease that may not respond to traditional surgery or radiation also have access to leading-edge options, including targeted therapy and immunotherapy. Our comprehensive approach ensures you receive appropriate prostate cancer care that meets your individual needs.
Trust NewYork-Presbyterian for Prostate Cancer Treatment
If you’re seeking evaluation for prostate cancer, schedule an appointment at one of NewYork-Presbyterian's multiple locations throughout New York City, Westchester, or the Hudson Valley. During your initial appointment, one of our highly experienced physicians will review the symptoms and causes of prostate cancer, and answer any and all of your questions relating to diagnosis and treatment.