The Waiting Room As a Literacy & Learning Environment (WALLE) is a community health initiative of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital that seeks to address the social determinants of health through a unique two-fold approach: improving patients’ health literacy by providing targeted health education, and facilitating opportunities for patients to seek out resources to address their social needs.
- WALLE Navigators reach out to high-risk patients telephonically to enroll them in a 12-month navigation service provided by NYP’s Community Resource Coordinators.
- WALLE Interns reach out to patients telephonically to promote health literacy and address the social determinants of health by connecting patients to local Community Based Organizations.
What we do
- Provide patient-centered approaches that will improve quality of care, patient satisfaction, and health education
- Share relevant basic health information and services with patients to increase health literacy
- Support clinical staff by providing supplemental resources to patients
- Maximize provider-patient interaction by increasing patient engagement prior to their medical visit
- Inform medical providers of social health related needs identified by patients
- Connect patients to free/low cost community resources