A patient newly diagnosed with cancer faces an overwhelming number of challenges. Confusion and questions from family and friends adds to the sense of chaos because of this life-altering event.
The Oncology Navigation program helps guide the patient and family members through the health care system.
Who are oncology navigators?
- Mental health/social work trained professionals
- Culturally sensitive and bilingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, and English
How can an oncology navigator help you?
- Help you and your family understand your cancer and the treatment plan your physician prescribed
- Communicate with your doctor and health care team on your behalf
- Help you identify questions to ask your health care professional
- Identify and eliminate the barriers to medical care access
- Connect you to NewYork-Presbyterian Queens healthcare providers and coordinate medical appointments
- Link you to cancer resources and services at the hospital and in the community
- Provide emotional support and appropriate mental health service