Trainees interested in joining the NYP Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program must meet the minimum requirements for sub-specialty training, including the completion of one year of internship and either two or three years of general psychiatry residency training. Most residents accepted to the program begin our program at the PGY-IV or PGY-V level of postgraduate training.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens, non-citizen nationals of the United States, or must be lawfully admitted for permanent residence before they will be considered for an interview. Foreign nationals on a J1 visa are welcome to apply to our Main Program and should submit a copy of their J1 visa with their other application materials. NewYork-Presbyterian is unable to support any visa other than a J1 visa. Unfortunately, candidates seeking visa sponsorship during residency are ineligible to apply to our Community & Public Psychiatry Track.
A team, including the program directors, reviews each application in its entirety. Decisions for interviews are based on that review and on availability, so timely submission of all application materials is encouraged.
Applications are no longer being accepted for 2020-2021. Please check back in August, 2021 for information regarding the 2021 application process.
A complete application to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)* site is required and must include the following items:
- Your application
- Your personal statement
- 3 letters of recommendation, including one from your training director and one from an attending psychiatrist who served as a direct clinical supervisor in the past year
- Your official medical school transcript
- An official copy of your MSPE (Medical School Performance Evaluation/Dean's Letter)
- Your official USMLE score reports (Steps 1, 2, 3 or Equivalent)
- This Program Director's Verification Form Attesting to Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (CAP) Fellowship Eligibility. The completed form should be attached at the end of the Training Director LOR and uploaded into ERAS. Should you have difficulty uploading this form, it can be mailed directly to the Program Director.
In addition to the above required by ERAS, we also require:
- A copy of your medical school diploma
- A copy of your current medical license
- A copy of your ECFMG certificate**
- Proof of Visa Status, if not a US Citizen. (Please note that NYP only sponsors J1 visas.)**
Inquiries regarding the selection and application process should be mailed or emailed to:
NewYork-Presbyterian Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program
Attn: Shamila Dilmaghani, Training Program Manager
525 E. 68th Street Box 140
New York, NY 10065
E-mail: [email protected]
*Please note: The Electronic Residency Application Service does not support the Safari or Microsoft Edge browsers. Supported browsers include Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 10 or 11.
**Items to be included by foreign medical graduates only
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program