Skilled Lifesaving Care
If your child has a life-threatening medical condition or is recovering from a complex surgery, he or she may require intensive care. At NewYork-Presbyterian, our pediatric critical care specialists understand how stressful having a very sick child can be. We will not only provide advanced lifesaving care to your child, but we will also support you and your entire family during this challenging time. Our Pediatric Critical Care teams will carefully assess your child and rapidly customize a treatment plan to meet his or her needs.
- Immediate Response by an Expert Team: Our pediatric critical care team will quickly respond—24 hours a day, seven days a week—when children require rapid transport from another hospital to our center. Doctors wishing to transport a patient may contact us at 1-800-NYP-STAT. Our Critical Care Transport Team can be dispatched immediately in our specially equipped Mobile Critical Care Unit to move a child to one of our pediatric critical care centers.
- Comprehensive Care: At NewYork-Presbyterian, each child has immediate access to all of the pediatric medical and surgical subspecialists who practice at our academic medical centers, ensuring that all of your child's medical needs can be addressed in one location.
- State-of-the Art Units: With more than 60 beds, our two pediatric intensive care units (PICUs) provide skilled care for critically ill children in our region who require intensive monitoring. Family-friendly glass-enclosed cubicles offer privacy so your child can recover comfortably, aided by the latest technology available. We also have “step-down” beds for children who need less intensive monitoring and are nearly ready to leave the Center.
- Pediatric Neurologic ICUs: NewYork-Presbyterian has the only two Pediatric Neuro ICUs in the region. Our pediatric critical care specialists have extensive experience treating children who have sustained a traumatic brain or spine injury, status epilepticus, encephalitis, meningitis, coma, stroke, or other serious neurologic disorder. Our pediatric intensivists, neurosurgeons, neurologists, neuroradiologists, critical care nurses, respiratory therapists, and rehabilitation team provide cutting-edge treatment and diagnostic monitoring in a setting just for young patients.
- Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care: The Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) at NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital serves the needs of critically ill infants, children, and adolescents in need of specialized heart care. This specialized unit is staffed by a highly skilled team of intensivists from multiple subspecialties, including anesthesiology, pediatric cardiology, pediatric heart surgery, neonatology (newborn care), critical care, and pulmonology (lung care).
- Family-Centered Care: We know that parents and guardians are central members of each child's healthcare team, so we encourage you to participate in your child's care. We invite you to spend as much time as possible with your child. We not only allow 24-hour visiting, but encourage it, and sleeping facilities are available.