Expert, high-quality general surgery is available at NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital for people with abdominal disorders such as hernias and appendicitis and conditions of the stomach, intestines, gallbladder, and spleen.
Our surgeons are widely recognized and respected for their expertise and for being at the forefront of advances in the field. They employ minimally invasive techniques whenever appropriate, such as laparoscopy, enabling them to operate through small incisions. The result for the patient: smaller scars, less discomfort after surgery, and a faster recovery compared with conventional open surgery. Many operations can be performed on an outpatient basis, with the patient able to go home the same day.
We offer a wide range of procedures, including:
- Appendix removal (appendectomy)
- Hernia repair
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Bowel surgery for diverticulitis, perforated bowel, bowel obstruction, and abscesses
- Surgical treatment of wounds
- Creation of an ostomy (a bag worn outside the abdomen to collect wastes)
- Insertion of feeding tubes
- Surgery to insert a breathing tube