Thank you for your interest in the Child Life Internship Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital. Our goal is for interns to gain extensive clinical experience in child life through enriching and thought-provoking opportunities. Students learn how to apply theory to actual “hands-on” practices with infants, children, youth, and families.
This internship program will help students gain independence and develop clinical skills that can be applied to any setting as a child life specialist. Under the direct supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist, interns learn how to make assessments, develop treatment plans, provide appropriate interventions, and create unique programming for children and families. In addition, students are provided with alternative learning opportunities through curriculum readings, seminars and relevant assignments.
Child Life Services of the NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital is in alignment with the standards, philosophy, and mission of the ACLP including the Standards for Academic and Clinical Preparation. Our students are an integral part of our services for pediatric patients and their families and we are committed to the professional growth and development of future child life specialists.
How to Apply
Prior to Application
- Complete coursework in Child Life, Child Development or related fields, minimum bachelor’s degree to be earned at completion of internship experience.
- Experience with children in both health care and non-health care settings
- Although a practicum is not required by the ACLP, we highly encourage students to have completed a practicum prior to their internship experience.
- Our program accepts the Child Life Readiness Common application available on the ACLP website: https://aclp.smapply.io/prog/internship_application/
- You can download and email applications to [email protected]
In the subject line please state applicants name, the internship session and the year.
- Upon review of submitted materials, applicants will be notified about the status of their application. Submission of an application does not guarantee the candidate will receive and interview or an internship placement.
- Please check https://www.childlife.org/ for current internship application deadlines for Fall and Winter/Spring internship opportunities.
About our Internship
Interns will begin their experience with a one-week general orientation, followed by three rotations (inpatient and outpatient). Availability of rotations will vary each semester. Interns will be supervised throughout the entirety of their internship by a Certified Child Life Specialist meeting the standards set forth by the ACLP.
The Child Life Internship is an unpaid student experience.
NewYork-Presbyterian is unable to provide housing.
- Total of 40 hours per week including a daily 1-hour lunch break
- A total of 600+ hours
- Some clinical rotations may include early mornings, late evenings, and weekend hours to best meet patient and family needs.
To contact our Child Life Internship Committee:
Please email: [email protected]
Child Life Internship Coordinators
Department of Child Life Services
NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital 525 East 68th Street, Box 271
New York, NY 10065