Child Life Program
The Child Life Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital provides emotional and psycho-social support to children and families that promotes coping with visits to the emergency room, inpatient hospitalization and illness.
Our certified child life specialist works with the medical team to advocate for the needs of the entire family, including siblings. With a strong educational background in child development, child life specialists assess each child and work to minimize the anxiety and stress of illness and medical procedures. The Child Life Program is designed to meet the needs of each individual child and family through the following interventions:
- Developmentally appropriate preparation for tests and procedures.
- Distraction and emotional support during procedures.
- Introduction of positive coping techniques to face the challenges of illness and hospitalization.
- Therapeutic play and self expression activities to promote development and normalize the hospital environment.
Please contact the child life specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital if you need help with any of the following:
- Preparation for a medical procedure, test, or surgery
- Coping support for impending emergency room visit or inpatient hospitalization
- Preparation and coping support for any radiology imaging study
- Pain management for an acute injury or chronic illness
- Developmentally appropriate education about a new diagnosis, illness, or injury
- Emotional support for siblings of a chronically ill or hospitalized child
- Frequent hospital admissions
- Medication compliance