We Understand the Frustration of Bedwetting
Many children experience problems with urination, such as not going frequently enough and then having to go right away or wetting the bed at night. At NewYork-Presbyterian, we offer advanced urodynamic services devoted to identifying and treating urination (voiding) disorders in children, including daytime or nighttime wetting, urinary urgency and frequency, and constipation. We have special expertise in the care of children with urinary issues related to another disorder, such as spina bifida or cerebral palsy.
Diagnostic and testing procedures
To evaluate the cause of your child's bed wetting or other urination issues, we may use one or more of these tests in our specialized pediatric urodynamic testing units:
- Uroflow. This test measures the amount of urine released, how long it takes to urinate, the speed with which the urine comes out, and how much is left in the bladder when your child is finished.
- Uroflow with EMG. This procedure includes the uroflow test described above along with electromyography, which measures how well the muscles that help coordinate and control your child's urination are working.
- Urodynamic study. This test measures pressures in your child's abdomen and bladder as the bladder fills and during urination.
- Video urodynamic study. This exam combines imaging technology with the urodynamic study to determine if there are anatomic abnormalities of your child's bladder and urethra.
- Ultrasound. We use real-time ultrasound to see if the bladder is full enough to do the uroflow study and repeat it to measure the amount of urine, if any, left behind.
Our Approach to Care
Nurse practitioners with experience in pediatric urology take the time to thoroughly evaluate your child in a relaxing, compassionate environment to identify the cause of the symptoms. We use the information we learn from this evaluation to customize a plan of care to meet your child's needs.
How we treat urination problems
We take the time to explain your child's test results to you and work closely with you to choose the best treatment. Examples of treatments for urination disorders include:
- Biofeedback/behavior modification therapy to teach children who urinate in an abnormal way how to urinate correctly
- Surgery such as bladder augmentation, bladder neck reconstruction, ureteral reimplantation, and urethral reconstruction
- Bladder training exercises
- Botox injections and neuromodulation
- Bowel management
- Deflux injections (an outpatient procedure that can be used to treat reflux and certain types of incontinence)
- Motivational counseling
Why Choose Us
Problems with urination and bowel movements can have several different causes. It's important for your child to be evaluated in a center with specialized expertise to determine the source of his or her symptoms. NewYork-Presbyterian is known as a leader in the assessment and treatment of bedwetting and other problems with voiding in children and has top-ranked centers for urodynamic testing, featuring state-of-the-art video urodynamics equipment. We understand what you and your child are experiencing and do all we can to restore his or her function, comfort, and self-esteem. Contact us to make an appointment for a consultation.